Biting

How do I get my 17 month old to stp biting? He bites hubby and I and thinks its funny. I tell him no and smack his face not hard and have even bite him back once or twice and he cries for a few seconds than laughs again.
PLEASE HELP

becbec71705

Asked by becbec71705 at 9:20 PM on Nov. 16, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• keep on biting him back, make it a little more painful, or time outs
    mama_pink_tink

Answer by mama_pink_tink at 9:45 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I would try time outs and see if that works, If biting him back has not worked then I would try ignoring him. If he bites you tell him "no, you can not bite" and walk away. He might be doing it to get attention and he might not realize that he is hurting you.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 10:40 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• i also have a 17 month old she does the same thing i smack her bottom not to hard but she crys and bites again i think it's just a stage i'm ganna keep smackin her but i also tell her she gave me a bobo and she kisses the spot she bit lol kids i don't have the heart to smack any harder shell get the message eventually i think all toddlers go through this all my friends kids did plus when there theethin it feels good to them
    millerchic

Answer by millerchic at 10:50 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• My 2 year old did that twice and hasn't since. He bit his sister both times and she cried. He bit her hard enough to still see teeth marks the next day. All I really did was to tell him no, we don't bite and that he hurt his sister. I think he felt bad after seeing and hearing her cry.
    aanddplus2

Answer by aanddplus2 at 11:59 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Flick him in the nose. I did this with melanie and she never bit me again. Also do not react when he bites you. Just flick his nose then tell him not to bite and put him somewhere safe for a time out and walk away from him. He will learn that mommy and daddy dont like when I bite and if I do they will put me in time out
    melliesmom1207

Answer by melliesmom1207 at 7:32 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Make a big deal about how much it hurt, even act like you're crying if you can, and remember its only a stage all toddlers go through.
    sweet29mom

Answer by sweet29mom at 8:23 PM on Nov. 18, 2010