Adult ADD. anyone have it? or know the signs of it?

BetsyBoop2003

Asked by BetsyBoop2003 at 9:21 PM on Nov. 16, 2010 in Health

• This site might help

http://helpguide.org/mental/adhd_add_adult_symptoms.htm

I have adult ADD.  I've learned to live with it and work in an evironment where everyone is well aware of it. They know my quirks and don't ask why i make 5 trips to the copier instead of just one.  I am good at what I do and no one can fault my work.  I had a great assistant last year who kept me together.  I am in the process of training a new one this year.  I am a bit more stressed, but we are getting there. 

layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:26 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I have it and it is untreated, everything it late or forgotten about, I can be headed to the kitchen and get distracted and go into the bathroom, thoughts are scattered and there is zero focus, it takes twice as long to finish a task and I'm a clutz and sloppy as well.
    alotleft2do

Answer by alotleft2do at 9:30 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I don't medicate either. I tried it, but I didn't like the lack of things going on in my head. I acutally missed it and found it hard to concentrate without all the things going on in my head.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:35 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• My sister claims to have it, and is on meds for it.... IMO I think it's bogus.. No disrespect, but everything has a label, and medication these days, and to me it's just an excuse...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:37 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Wow...just read the link from above...I have a lot of those signs. Never thought it could be ADD. I always thought they were because I'm "not right in the head" (my mom and abusive ex boyfriend's words) and from all the abuse from my parents and ex. I visit my doctor Thursday and I'm bringing this up.
    TiredbutHappy1

Answer by TiredbutHappy1 at 9:41 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• To be honest, anyone can have the symptoms at any given time, but those of us who chronically have those symptoms are the ones who are diagnosed. I don't tell people I have ADHD. I don't take meds for it. I struggle with daily tasks at work, but I can usually function enough to get the job done. I've found ways to cope and ways to make up for whatever I lack in areas such as attention and organization. I NEVER use my ADHD as an excuse. Ever.

Only a licensed psychologist/psychiatrist can actually diagnose someone, and for me they tested me for everything under the sun, including sleep apnea, but they could not rule out ADHD. After more testing they settled on the diagnosis.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 9:50 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Until you pitch a tent inside my head and see whats going on, SHUT UP. Seriously. It is a true medical condition that can be managed with or without medication. I get so tired of people who say, oh I think I have that too. Just because you forget stuff doesn't make you ADD. I have been diagnosed. But the best book to help understand and manage adult ADD is Delivered By Distraction. I felt like the writer knew me my entire life. I was stunned. Here are some of the traits I carry..
    The constant need for stimulation at all times
    Paying attention to small detail, not always things others would
    Racing thoughts, sometimes I can't finish a thought
    Starting projects without finishing them
    I talk a lot and I'm high strung
    Caffiene calms me down
    I'm easily distracted from my work
    I have a hard time with organization
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 9:56 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• The list I gave above is a beginning point. It is to help start a conversation with a doctor.

I never use my ADD as an excuse, but being as I work in the education/mental health field, it was pretty obvious to my co workers. It's actually a running joke. But I am the first one to get my paper work in and I get kudos about my work from other agencies. I've learned what works for me and although it doesn't always make sense to others, they have learned not try and "help me" with out asking, as most likely they will mess me up.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:56 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

________________________-
    While I will admit, that there are some who look for an excuse for everything, this is real for me. I do not medicate. I do not like the medications. I am sucessful in my job and I am well respected in my profession. How is that excusing anything?
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:59 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Musicmom--
    thanks, I think I'm going to check that book out.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:00 PM on Nov. 16, 2010