How is the best way to get over the fear of hurting your newborn baby when changing their clothes???

I'm a first time mom. Who is scared to death to change any baby's clothes no matter what age.

1st_time_mom18

Asked by 1st_time_mom18 at 8:01 PM on Nov. 3, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's nerve racking at times being a first time mom just be gentle you'll do fine after a few months you forget what it was like to not have to change and feed.
    Anonymous

• I was soo nervous the first few weeks my preemie twins were home. I was sure that I was going to damage them somehow by accident. Everyone kept telling me that it would be okay and that I would get used to changing them and bathing them. I felt like the worst mom, then one day, I think I was really sleep deprived, I just got up and changed them without even an ounce of anxiety. Now I hold then in one arm while refilling the diaper bag and change one with one hand while putting a pacifier in the other one's mouth. You really do get used to it. Just a tip: Scrunch the onsie up and put the head through first, then reach in through the sleeves to pull baby's hands through. Then it is merely a matter of pulling the onsie down and snapping it.
    sienaneismom

Answer by sienaneismom at 8:14 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• I think everyone goes through this. I found best to never have them wear clothes with buttons on the back. Ones that buckle like a onsie fine. But buttons on the back of the neck are difficult at times, its just ackward to position and buckle. My shirts dont have buttons on the back! I stayed away from them unless it was something really good someone bought. your picture shows you pregnant, are you still? Honestly people told me this, your natural insticts really do kick in and you just know whats best. You'll see, and if you already have your bundle, just relax, dont worry so much and they'll relax more when dressing.
    Kerinmomof2

Answer by Kerinmomof2 at 8:15 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• If you think about what the babies go through to get into the world (birth), just changing clothes is mild.
    sydsmom2

Answer by sydsmom2 at 8:33 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• When my son was a newbie, I would say outloud- IT's okay, we're both new at this and don't know what we're doing. We are both trying really hard and doing great. I would go on and on like this. If i didn't I think i would have had a breakdown when he wouldn't latch on, when he started to cry or when i thought I hurt him. Just take it slow and give yourself the credit you deserve. You're doing GREAT!!
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 8:43 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• also, short-sleaved onesies and no pants. You can just put a blanket over them to keep them warm- and with short sleeves you don't have to be as paranoid about bending their hands/fingers back.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 8:49 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• Just keep doing it. You'll realize that babies a lot more durable than you think. A few clipped fingers when cutting their nails. stubbed fingers putting shirts on too fast. bumped head from pulling the shirt off too fast. THey will wimper a bit but bounce right back! Just keep up with it and you'll be comfortable in no time.
    ferdo0204

Answer by ferdo0204 at 9:06 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• Just be careful not to bend their arms or legs backwards and you will do fine. They won't break! Just do it! You will catch on.
    coke2pep

Answer by coke2pep at 9:20 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• You just keep doing it. Then one day you'll watch Daddy try to do it and you will be shocked at how timid and inept he seems. When that happens, just let him be and don't say anything. Practice makes perfect (or at least comfortable) and you'll get lots of it.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 9:26 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• The great thing about babies is that they are VERY flexible. The main thing to watch is that you support their head. My favorite is those sacks you put them in (with drawstring bottoms). You support their head while you pull it over (the head). The rest is a piece of cake and you don't have to undress them to change their diapers. Don't worry, the more you do it the better you get. (Believe my, by number 2,3,4,etc. you won't even think about it!)
    WD40

Answer by WD40 at 9:41 PM on Nov. 3, 2008