No Sleep

My 3 week old isn't sleeping. She's only slept 20 minutes in the last eight hours. Her temperature is fine. She's not fussy. She just won't sleep, and she's nursing like crazy--my milk supply has been emptied a couple of times today. Is this normal?

SMH2010

Asked by SMH2010 at 10:04 PM on Nov. 16, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Growth spurt. Sounds right. She should be getting over it soon.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:06 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• At least two of my kids did that early on. I seemed like all I ever did was feed them and I joked that I felt like a cow. I even thought I'd have to resort to sleeping standing up just to get a few moments of sleep here and there. It got better though, and eventually I was able to sleep through most of the night. Though I don't think I've had a full night's uninterrupted sleep in over 16 years...
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 10:22 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Three week growth spurt, right on time! Just keep nursing, and remember you are never empty, you are always making and she is always getting milk!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 10:37 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Just say Moo! and keep at it. You feel empty but there is always milk. It's made on demand.

I know you're tired but this is a temporary thing. Call someone to bring you a pot of soup and love on you some.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:54 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Growth spurts hit at 3 weeks, 6 weeks, 3 months, and 6 months. Knowing this helped me when all of a sudden I became the human milk machine- it won't last forever, is totally normal and actually a good sign that things are going well for baby so don't worry. She'll eat when she's hungry (as you're finding out) and your body will make the extra milk she needs because she is at the breast so often. She will sleep again, too, I promise. In the meantime, if you can figure out how to nurse while laying on your side in bed it will give you a chance for a break, and often my daughter would doze off after nursing in this position. It took a few tries for me to get the hang of nursing laying down but it was so totally worth it. Good luck and hang in there!!
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 12:29 PM on Nov. 17, 2010