How safe are ultrasounds?

Is it best to opt out of having ultrasounds, or do the benefits from viewing the ultrasounds outweigh the negatives?

xxhazeldovexx

Asked by xxhazeldovexx at 10:11 PM on Nov. 16, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Ultrasounds are safe. They don't harm you or the baby. On the other hand catscans and MRI are different, they use radiation which is very bad for a baby as well as you.
    Erzy

Answer by Erzy at 10:35 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• http://www.ob-ultrasound.net/

This site offers how ultrasounds are used, how safe they are, what they are testing for, and just about every other question you may have about ultrasounds.

xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:36 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• With all interventions it is important to be aware of the pros and cons. Only an individual can weigh these against her personal worries or complications.
    They are elective and some studies do alert us to concerns; not necessary and not necessarily healthful.
    Some care providers offer them as a part of their standard routine maternity care, other providers don't recommend them unless there is an indication.
    Having an ultrasound to examine the fetus can be important for some women. But for others the risks outweigh the benefits.

Like many women I know (and all women in history before my time), with my pregnancies, it was not worth the risks.
    So I never had any.

doulala

Answer by doulala at 3:04 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• There is generally considered to be little danger in ultrasounds on pregnant women. There is no irradiation!
    Some SMALLER studies have showed a link between ultrasounds and low birth weight but this hasnt been confirmed in ANY larger studies. Most doctors today safe Ultrasounds are safe for Pregnant women. Plus its an amazing experience ;)
    kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 10:19 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I wish I remember the radio show I was listening to the other day. This lady said you should never have more then 2 of them, she is trying to link it to autism. FYI I don't believe her.

I think its as safe as you can get with any technology.
    1Giovanni

Answer by 1Giovanni at 1:09 AM on Nov. 23, 2010