How do you choose the best health care provider for you and your baby?

xxhazeldovexx

Asked by xxhazeldovexx at 10:14 PM on Nov. 16, 2010 in Pregnancy

• When I was deciding to get a very good doctor for my daughter, I went on-line and also asked my OB at the time if he knew any good pediatricians, and he recommended quite a few of them. I had my daughter at Hurley Medical Center, which has the best NICU in the state, I think its also ranks 4th best in the nation, but I am not sure. So that also was a major condition of where I wanted her doctor to practice from. The ultimate decision would be whether or Marisa would like that doctor, and how that doctor interacted with the other childen. He also willk have a decent bedside manner and how he was with me and all the questions I will have and his/her patience.. Finally, he/she would listen to me and not patronize and pat me on the shoulder saying "there there I am sure its nothing, and you are over reacting" That would be the deal breaker for sure!
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 10:40 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Word of mouth really helps. In choosing an OB/GYN find someone you are comfortable. It's best to already have an OB/GYN before you even become pregnant, but some people use their family doctor for their check ups so still need to find a doctor they are comfortable with that is an OB/GYN. You'll want to find someone that shares the same beliefs as you about pregnancy as well. All in all though, it's sort of trial and error, which is why it's best to find a doctor BEFORE you try to get pregnant.

As for pediatricians, again, word of mouth is best. Find out who your friends and family have used and why they liked that doctor or why they didn't.
    I choose my OB/GYN because while I was pregnant with my daughter I was in a car wreck, and she was soo thorough in making sure my DD and I were fine, that I switched to her.
    I choose my daughters pediatrician because he was mine when I was a baby.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:50 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Ask people who have already have children. They would be more likely to tell you about their own experiences with their doctors. Word of mouth is worth a lot, and it should always be considered when trying to find the right doctor for you.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:44 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Right before I had my son I went to a couple different apt with friends/ family when they took their little ones to the doc .Just to see how the different the providers where , if I felt comfortable with any of them to care for him. Word of mouth in this situation works well too. At the hospital when you have your baby they also have different pediatricians that visit the newborns . If you go and talk with them they can take your child on as new patient if you asked. That's how I ended up picking one. GL

waitin4u

Answer by waitin4u at 10:33 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I'm sorry I was referring to pediatricians

waitin4u

Answer by waitin4u at 10:35 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• word of mouth can be good but be careful as some women prefer a more medicalized treatment where as others like a more natural approach.

How about asking your care provider the 10 questions?

Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 1:24 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I researched a lot. i research their reviews online as well as their C-section percentage. I wanted doctors that would do anything and everything before jumping into a C section. I made great chooses.

kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 12:08 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I used my family doctor. I already knew her she was great, so my children went to her too.
    1Giovanni

Answer by 1Giovanni at 1:06 AM on Nov. 23, 2010