What is the best way to make the most of your maternity wear?

Did you shop thrift store or buy brand new?
What styles of clothes are the best to buy that you can wear both while pregnant and after pregnancy?

xxhazeldovexx

Asked by xxhazeldovexx at 10:17 PM on Nov. 16, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Mostly, I shopped thrift stores for a couple nice pairs of maternity pants. I wore a lot of peasant style tops, or layered a little so that I could use my regular clothes longer. A couple friends gave me some of their old stuff, and I plan on passing some of mine along to others. I bought one nice, dressy, looks good before and after kind of shirt that I can also use to nurse in, and I got a nice sleeveless brown dress that I could wear with different shirts. I managed to look professional (I'm a teacher), and felt pretty "good looking" almost my entire pregnancy!
    Reenieredhead

Answer by Reenieredhead at 10:57 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I always wore my regular clothes. The only special thing I ever bought was a nursing bra. I always wear my pants on my hop bones anyway so they fit right under my belly. My shirts were big enough as I usually wear the pheasant style shirts or baggy t shirts.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 10:47 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• with my first daughter, I wore the same clothes because I didn't really show. I could wear a size 5-7 through the entire pregnancy because she sat so high, and just switched to looser sweatshirts that I already had when I was 7 + months.

With my second pregnancy, she sits a LOT lower, so I've shopped at discount stores or thrift stores for pants, or resorted to using rubber bands around the buttons of some of my jeans. I tried to find shirts that had a looser fit around the waist area so that they can be stylish and fit comfortably while pregnant AND after pregnancy. I also "shopped" in my mom's closet for clothes from when she went through her "fat" years.

Trading with friends is also an option.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:54 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I wore regular clothes. I have a few pairs of maternity pants but couldn't stand always having to hike them up every time they started to sag.
    MelSwim7

Answer by MelSwim7 at 11:15 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I use the same stuff through each pregnancy. I have bought new and used clothes. I just make sure I save it for the next time and when im done having kids I will give it to someone else of sale it. :)
    kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 10:09 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Often some of your regular clothes will work. I had to wear business clothes and many dresses will work the whole pregnancy that aren't special maternity dresses. A few solid pairs of maternity pants can be switched up with accessories. Yoga pants are great. You don't need special maternity yoga pants.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:57 PM on Nov. 19, 2010