Is it better to get an SUV or a sedan?

Right now I am 21wks 4days pregnant, and I am about to buy a new car. I am trying to decide between the Ford Escape and the Ford Fusion. My boyfriend says that it will be easier to get the baby in and out of the Escape because it is higher up and because it will be easier to get the stroller in the back. In your experience is one car really more convenient than another?

Holly-Bear

Asked by Holly-Bear at 8:03 PM on Nov. 3, 2008 in Shopping

• Well, I had an SUV and LOVED it! (I had an Explorer) I loved all the room in the back (was so much easier to get the stroller out AND put other items -- groceries, etc. -- in it WITH the stroller.) Plus, I did think it was easier to get the child in/out b/c it was up higher, just like your bf said.

I had to "downgrade" to a sedan when my child was 3 because my SUV was on its last leg and we didn't want to spend an extra $10,000 on a car. :( I REALLY missed it. Yes, my Taurus is nice and safe and there is room in the trunk, but it was just hard going from an SUV to that. One pro, however, was that it was faster! And I did get use to it. But I'd love to get another SUV someday!
    NovaChk

Answer by NovaChk at 8:25 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• I had a 2004 Grand Am, and when my son was 2 weeks old we went out and bought a new car. The Grand Am sat way too low to the ground for my hubby to put the car seat in an out of (he is 6'4"). Plus, the doors didnt seem to open wide enough to get the car seat in without tilting it a funny way.
    We ended up buying a 2007 Dodge Durango, and we LOVE it! It is nice to be able to just leave the stroller in the car, and still have room for groceries, or if we have other people riding in the car with us. It has the 3rd row seat which is nice. It isnt too bad on gas either.
    Angerella

Answer by Angerella at 8:34 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• LOVE MY SUV!
    Anonymous

• This may sound silly, but if you have your carseat take it with you when you look at vehicles, or borrow one from a friend so you can try it in the cars you look at. My son is a hockey goalie and when I need a new car the frist "test" it has to pass is if his sticks will easily fit! IMO an SUV is easier to get everything in and out of and more roomy!
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 9:42 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• an suv will probably give you more carseat options. Its hard to get the convertible seats to fit rear facing in sedans. However gas mileage on suvs is much worse, tires cost more and they have a higher rollover rate so get one with side curtain air bags if I were you. I have a Saturn SL and I have no issue getting the stroller in the trunk and my convertible car seat does fit rear facing in the middle (but definitely wouldnt fit behind passenger or driver seat) I would get what is most conveinent for your lifestyle.
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 1:26 AM on Nov. 5, 2008

• I had both and Prefer my SUV for getting the kids in and out. You don't have to bend over At all. If you're going to be taking them in and out daily then I'd recommend the SUV.

SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 11:05 PM on Nov. 5, 2008