Did you deal with morning sickness while pregnant?

If so, what foods did you avoid? What did you take to try to relieve your morning sickness? Was it all day or just a certain part of the day? When did it start and end?

xxhazeldovexx

Asked by xxhazeldovexx at 10:22 PM on Nov. 16, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Yes, for the first half of my pregnancy. And it usually hit in the evenings, right before or right after dinner. I could still eat pretty much anything, at least once. But things that had a strong smell I usually couldn't handle the second time around. And my husband worked at a fast food restaurant and always came home smelling like grease. I don't think I'll ever be able to eat at that restaurant again! ;)
    As long as I kept hydrated (tap water and 100% juices worked the best), and at least had something to nibble on (fruit was wonderful), I was usually fine.
    Reenieredhead

Answer by Reenieredhead at 1:25 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I had hyperemesis my entire pregnancy. I dealt with extreme morning sickness all day long. During my first trimester, I was in the ER about 8 times for dehydration. During my 2nd trimester I had a to stick a needle in my leg everyday for 6 weeks, so liquid zofran could be pumped into my body. By my 3rd trimester, I still woke up with bad morning sickness, but one zofran pill helped get me through the day. That hell which was my pregnancy ended WELL though. My labor was QUICK AND PAINLESS, and my baby was born quite healthy!!

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 10:29 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I dealt with it all day every day for 40 full weeks with both of my first two pregnancies. I couldn't go near Mayo or cream soups of any kind... With this one it's not as bad but I'm still dealing with it daily at least and it's triggered by any strong smell, food or not.

To deal with it, I LIVE on ginger ale & ginger snaps...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:41 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• my morning sickness was worse in the mornings (with my first). I would get up, drink some water and eat some saltines. i avoided eggs at all costs, because it always made me sick. now with my second, i didnt have morning sickness. with my third, it was so bad my doc prescribed some phenagren (sp) because i lost almost 15lbs. really, its all about learning what you can handle with each pregnancy
    Phippsandrea

Answer by Phippsandrea at 10:28 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Yes. I have had severe morning sickness through all three of my pregnancies. I have used peppermints, motion sickness bracelets, toast, medication, and marijuana. None if these was a cure all. Some helped some of the time but none worked all of the time.

I did find that I was very hungry in the morning which was contributing greatly to my nausea, so I would get up at around 3 AM and havea snack. That helped a LOT.
    gypsyjewels

Answer by gypsyjewels at 9:36 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Yes. Thuogh it wasn't always in the morning...sometime afternoon sometimes at night. Ginger ale helped me...and tea.
    Erzy

Answer by Erzy at 10:27 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• clear fluids, plain rice, plain meat of ssome sort (you need high proteine to combat morning sickness or it will ruin your pregnancy) and a half of a unisome tablet before bed
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 10:38 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• With my son I had 24 hour 7 day a week 42 week sickness - yes he was two weeks overdue 10 lbs and 24 inches. Small and I mean tiny meals or snacks helped keep my sugar normal. The food reactions changed through out the pregnacy. Smells were a huge trigger for me even good smells could set me off. Nine years later I still can't bend over the sink to brush my teeth. But with all that crazy being said what seemed to help the most was to give myself extra time if I had to be somewhere - reduce stress and gosh help me exercise even the most simple things arm circles etc. helped. I also had to give up fizzy drinks. Everyone has a story bigger and better - best advice listen to your body - sleep when tired, eat when hungry, keep a journal not just food and drink but mood, stress level etc. it will be your best guide. Relax and enjoy soon you will have your own stories to tell!
    mrsljamieson

Answer by mrsljamieson at 10:39 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I had 24/7 sickness while I was pregnant during my first and third trimesters. Nothing helped and everything made it worse. I felt fine during my second trimester, thankfully. I think energy drinks made me feel less sick, but I stopped drinking those after I found out it was morning sickness that was making me nauseous instead of the flu. The one thing that I could not eat the whole time I was pregnant was sour cream. I had JUST tried it for the first time right before I got pregnant, too. That sucked because Taco Bell was my usual craving, but I guess it was better that way since I cut out 99% of fast food.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 11:00 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I had it all day long with the first pregnancy until around 12 weeks. Then it went away. I just ate alot of snacks throughout the day. That seemed to help.
    moviemom22

Answer by moviemom22 at 11:24 AM on Nov. 17, 2010