I need tips on meal planning and grocery shopping , totally clueless.

I am spending over $150.00 a week on groceries and there is still no food in the house, I am always missing ingredients etc. As my son complains "why we never got two things that match around here?", I think he got that from a movie.

mrsljamieson

Asked by mrsljamieson at 10:26 PM on Nov. 16, 2010 in Shopping

• I go through the ads and plan my meals off of what is on sale. I sit down and write out 7 suppers, 5 lunches for dh and ds and then 2 lunches for the whole family, and then snacks for the kids after school. I also put extra of some things that are on sale that we use a lot of. As I use the last of a spice or condiment I put it down in a memo on my phone so I won't forget to pick it up when we are at the store. I still spend between $100 and $150 each week, but I'm also feeding 5 people lol
    fallnangel3

Answer by fallnangel3 at 10:44 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• There's a meal planning group on Cafemom, you could join that..they seem to be really helpful. Also, it helps me if I plan out all the meals a week in advance. I write down the meals and all the ingredients needed to make them, then I go through the pantry/fridge and cross off the ingredients I already have..and whatever is not crossed off turns into my grocery list :)
    ChelseaUT

Answer by ChelseaUT at 10:31 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I LOVE E-Mealz!   http://www.e-mealz..com

dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 10:32 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• lol i buy a lot of things on sle and keep basics around like noodles and spageti sauce. and i keep a list of things im out of .if i want to try a new recipie and have to buy new spices i make sure i make a list.... but the best thing for me is keeping staples stocked up.. weve always got some instant potatoes noodles canned sauces, chili mix things that just reguire adding meats for those days when moneys tight or you dont feel like shopping...
    2boysmommy.js

Answer by 2boysmommy.js at 10:51 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I started by making a list of my families favorites. Before I knew it I had about 20-25 meals, so I just alternate them so I'm not making any similar meals more than once a week (meaning I never make more than 1 beef dish per week, pasta dish per week, etc.) It works out pretty well. I also leave room for one night of leftovers because we always seem to have so much that don't get eaten.
    not-the-momma

Answer by not-the-momma at 10:46 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Make a menu of what you're having for the week, then check cupboards, refrigerator to see what you have on hand. Make a list of what you need for the meals. Take the list with you to the store.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 12:17 PM on Nov. 18, 2010