• In the Spotlight:

I need to stop getting angry so easily, how? I can't stop, taking breathers don't work and neither does counting to 10. Please help me before I lose my marriage. Please don't bash me, I already feel ashame of this. I thought you could help.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:30 PM on Nov. 16, 2010 in Relationships

• I am the same way - I'm very reactive because I am bipolar. None of the self-help "count to 10" etc things helped me either. I'm on a mood stabilizer now and I'm much more pleasant to be around. Before, I was extremely irritable and would snap at the smallest things. Maybe it would be a good idea for you to ask for a referral to a pdoc.
    Anonymous

• do you believe in JC?

if you do then when you are 'upset' let the first 3 words out of your mouth be "Jesus help me" then big deep breath and slowly out pursed lips :) I have been doing that for 4 years now :) very often I walk away before the breath is out and realize "it doesnt matter"
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 10:35 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Sometimes the best thing to do is to keep your trap shut and walk on. When you feel ready to return, do so :)
    Or, try the Love Dare.
    CandyHorse

Answer by CandyHorse at 10:35 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• oh my gosh, please go get put on anti depressants, NOT wellbutrin, i am just like this, and sadly it was to late, and it has nicely i think basically bashed and ended my marriage, but taking anti depressants calms me down, puts me in such a better mood, now if your pregnant like i am, and your as horrible as i am, then they probably wont work, and i advise you to not take them being pregnant because they all have side effects and my son was born with only 3 toes because of taking paxil... go to the doctor...
    shannonrenee09

Answer by shannonrenee09 at 10:36 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Well, if you aren't pregnant, I'd recommend seeing your doctor & trying an anti-anxiety medicine. I got angry all the time over little things, I cried over absolutely nothing, & my mind raced around like a hamster in a wheel. My doc put me on really low-dose Zoloft, & I'm back to my old self, have been for over 6 months with no side effects for me. I hope this helps you, chica. Hugs!
    KA91

Answer by KA91 at 10:37 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I'm the same way. I can snap over the smallest things. I was diagnosed rapid cycling bipolar. my manic phases, which could cycle many times a day or every couple weeks, present in the form of severe irritability most times. Talk to your Dr. Meds may work if that is an avenue you would like to try.
    MissAlisabeth

Answer by MissAlisabeth at 10:43 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I've had anger issues. Mostly I've broken things. Its what I grew up with. I am embarrassed to admit but I have had visions of punching my DH. He can be impossible sometimes. I got control because I hate being like that. There have been moments that I wanted to blow up but I thought about times I slammed doors and broke things and how shameful I felt afterwards. It stops me dead in my tracks. I center myself by telling myself the good things about me. (My anger issues comes from insecurity and fear). I sometimes even go off in my mind to a happy place. I imagine myself doing something and being somewhere that is very calming. That works for me. I haven't broken anything in a long time and I hope to never do it again.
    Anonymous

• Get evaluated by a counselor to see if you have an underlying mental health condition. Anger management counseling would also be a good idea.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:49 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• My advice would be asking your husband to help you by being able to watch the child while you go and have a day to yourself, and get nails done, toes done if money permits. Or your husband can take your child to Micky D's if they are old enough, if not maybe he can walk around the mall or something like that for a few hours. Then you can take a nice long bath, read a good mystery or suspense, J.D. Robb would be my pick aka Nora Roberts. If none of this helps, then talking to your doctor or go to a pdoc and they can recommend a low dose anti anxiety med like .25 mg of xanax. I was diagnosed with Bipolar type 2 about 4 yrs ago, so I can just imagine what you are going thru. So I would suggest you try just having some "me" time before you turn to some sort of drug when you might just need a breather. That is why the husbands also need to help us out and know that mom's need breaks too, and pampering once in awhile.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 10:59 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• If possible please schedule yourself for a complete medical check up including gyno - you may have undiscovered medical issues that are very treatable like diabetes, thyroid which can cause mood swings etc. Be absolutely painfully honest with your health care providers so they can diagnosis any issue correctly. I have been taking "mommy's happy pill" and the correct RX and dose does not diminish me, my personality or inhibit me physically at all and even with the pill I can still be a jerk but now I know my behavior is a choice I made and completely under my control. If you and your doctor do decide to try a RX you may need to try several at varying doses before you find what works for you, I know I did. Good Luck and Best Wishes - you deserve a happy life.

mrsljamieson

Answer by mrsljamieson at 11:03 PM on Nov. 16, 2010