Would you do this?

My sister in law will come to her parents house and will let the kids play outside while she studies and does homework, she will keep an eye out on her kids. I will let my son out to play and then go back inside and go to the computer or call my family or friends or just watch tv. She will tell me that I need to keep an eye on my child or take him back inside because she can't watch all the kids at the same time. I will admit that my child is more of a handful than her kids but if she is outside anyways with her kids, it shouldn't kill her to watch mine to. She doesn't have a yard at her house so she will come to her parents just to let her kids run. I don't think she is being fair about it.

edited to add: i never asked her to watch my child i just let him outside to play with her kids because i dont think it is a big idea

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:41 PM on Nov. 16, 2010 in Relationships

• you both could take a lesson from the kids
    and
    take turns

yes, take turns watching the kids
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 10:52 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I'd tell you to watch your own kid too. I wouldn't watch your kid with you watched TV or played online. She's not a baby sitter
    Eco_Momma

Answer by Eco_Momma at 10:45 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I run into a similar situation at family events...all enjoy the food and adult conversation while I'm outside watching everyone's kids plus my own.   That's 9 kids ranging from 3 to 12.  I have no problem telling my sister its her turn and she has your attitude...oh, they're OK.  I tell her this isn't a dead end block and someone will get hit by a car, I can't watch them all.  She's gets huffy, but gets off her ass and outside.

If is not fair for you to expect it. And if your child is a handful perhaps she is uncomfortable repremanding him, or perhaps he is rough with her kids. Your kid, your responsibility.  You are not entitled because you have the lesser qty of children.  It is presumptious of you to say it wouldn't kill her.  Perhaps she has her hands full with her own three and four is too much. 

DeeMomOfFour

Answer by DeeMomOfFour at 11:00 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I guess bc if your kid gets hurt you'll be like why didn't watch him she is there to study n watch her own kids she might feel that watching your kid is is taking time away from her studying I mean if anyone is going to bother her is going to be her kids too. Now if u ewere to stay outside that would be different bc u r out there not doing much while she going to school where does she have the time.GL
    Hope u c it that way.
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 10:57 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I'm sorry, but I don't think it's her responsibility to watch your child while you go inside to do whatever you want. She doesn't have to be fair about it, she's studying and watching her own kids. You on the other hand want her to watch your child while you do whatever you please.
    In my opinion, you're being selfish about it. You think you're entitled just because she goes to her parents to let her kids play so you feel she should watch your child if he's outside also, I don't think so. Seriously you should watch your own child if that's the case.
    earthsangel2006

Answer by earthsangel2006 at 11:11 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Watch your own kid. It's not her responsibility.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 11:13 PM on Nov. 16, 2010