So what's the crux of the issue?

Last post on this and I'm done.

The issue with gay marriage is not about the relationship. If that were so, common law marriage would be acceptable to you. The issue is not the so-called government benefits heterosexuals enjoy. If that were so, civil unions would be acceptable to you. The crux of the issue is that you want the social status that heterosexual couples have. You want the arts & crafts home with white picket fence, 2.5 children, but you want to substitute Jack & Jill with Jack & Johnny and then you want Jack & Jill from next door to treat the same as they would Johnny and Suzzie.

Well, unfortunately that won't happen, and no amount of government license will get you there. You are asking every single individual in this country to embrace your lifestyle regardless of the impact on their own beliefs. And while you cry "tolerance" the rest of us are left asking, "where's yours?"

Gal51

Asked by Gal51 at 10:49 PM on Nov. 16, 2010 in Religious Debate

• Well you know what? It will happen Gal51. Are you so insecure with yourself that you feel the need to keep a loving couple from having the same rights as everyone else. I know if my son wanted to be married to another guy that it doesn't change my marriage one bit. Why would it effect yours? Is your marriage that insecure? I hope not.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 11:02 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• You want the arts & crafts home with white picket fence, 2.5 children, but you want to substitute Jack & Jill with Jack & Johnny and then you want Jack & Jill from next door to treat the same as they would Johnny and Suzzie. "

And I think you're reading too far into it. I think they just want to marry the one they love. Most of the gay couples I've known don't give a shit about white picket fences and having an arts and crafts home.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 10:59 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Ok, your last sentence in the original question gives me the giggles. "And while you cry "tolerance" the rest of us are left asking, "where's yours?"            OH LOLOLOL. So we are being intolerant because we don't like bigotry?  Irony at its finest.

pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 11:21 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I'm an equalist. I believe we are all entitled to the same rights. It's pretty simple, really.
    BluDog

Answer by BluDog at 11:18 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Why should anyone accept anything less than what they deserve? Separate but equal doesn't work.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 11:53 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• it will happen...it just may take a while b/c of ppl like you. just like slavery, women's suffrage, civil rights, inter-racial marriage, and a stream of other things...if enough ppl step up and say "this is wrong it must be changed" it will be changed. and just like all those other issues it wont be given a citizen vote, it will just happen. im really hoping the generation next in line for control (i believe thats the Gen Xers, the ones after the Baby Boomers, yes?) will be the ones to say "why is this still illegal?".
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:54 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Well, I don't necessarily agree that they're asking every single individual to embrace their lifestyle. I think ultimately, they just want people to not hinder them.

I think it will happen, eventually. It may take a while, but I think at some point in the future, gay marriage will be legal in every state.

I don't expect everyone to like the idea of gay marriage, but even if you disagree with it, I don't understand why it should bother you if it makes someone else happy. I'm married and I don't care if every gay couple in the world gets married, it will not change what my marriage means to me. What I have with my husband is between us, and it has nothing to do with anyone else. There are all sorts of people (heterosexual) that are married who I don't think should be. There are tons of people that marry for the wrong reasons. Does that change my marriage? No way. Then again, I don't concern myself with other people too much.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 10:57 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Oh wow....this is so stereotypical and so narrow minded and so brainwashed. Hehehe....I just can't help but laugh. In all my life,I have never known such a prejudiced and brainless person....and she is using The Bible as her excuse for her bias and bigotry. Shame....
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 11:05 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• You want the arts & crafts home with white picket fence, 2.5 children, but you want to substitute Jack & Jill with Jack & Johnny and then you want Jack & Jill from next door to treat the same as they would Johnny and Suzzie.

Are you really that dense? Gay couples already have the arts & crafts home with white picket fence and 2.5 children. What they DON'T have is the right to visit each other in the ICU if one of them gets hit by a drunk driver or the right to have their pension transfer to the person they've shared their home with for the 60 years before they died.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:06 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• If it makes you feel any better, I got one for suggesting dying people should get to see their loved one before they kick. I didn't realize that was evil.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:21 PM on Nov. 16, 2010