Living with the in-laws?

Have you and if so, how long did it last?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:04 PM on Nov. 16, 2010 in Relationships

• We did. About a year and a half ago my husband lost his job in the city we were in... plant shut down 900 people lost thier jobs so we moved back to our home town and moved in with his parents. We did it for about six months while we sold our house there and started building a place here... It wasn't too bad, just got to the point where we were ready to have our own way of living back and they were ready to have their space back. We were very nervous about it and it went better than we thought. A few tips though... make it as easy on them as possible. Set up a meal system you cook she cooks, or you help her/him cook... and make sure you doing your share for groceries, and all other neccesities. His mom is a neat freak and we had a two year old at the time... so I worked my butt off. It was stressful not having that privacy and we had a blow out with his sister... but we are great now and in our home
    Mrs.KV

Answer by Mrs.KV at 11:10 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I live with my MIL. After her husband died she couldn't afford he house and was going to lose i. Dh and I completely did her basement and finished it out. 2 bedrooms, full bath, kitchen, living room. Now we pay the mortgage and part of he oil bills so she won't lose the house. It's not bad Because we have our own space. She rarely comes down and sometimes we go up. My relationship with her is much better now than it was before.
    Jessica45

Answer by Jessica45 at 11:48 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I am currently living with my inlaws, my hubby, my 3 chidlren and our dog.

We've been living with them for 2.5 years now. I HATE IT. I would NEVER would EVER suggest anyone move in with parents/inlaws EVER!!

IT SUCKS you can't parent properly because grandma and grandpa are always around with a cookie in hand or something. They undermind you left right and center. My house is Especially bad because i have an ASSHOLE for a FIL. If the world doesn't rotate around what he's doing and you aren't at his beck and call 24/7 there is an issue. I am STRESSED to the max but can't leave. DON'T DO IT!
    MyIslandGirls

Answer by MyIslandGirls at 11:53 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• by the way, we did end up moving into our camper before our house was ready just to have our own space again... but we were never on bad terms... just be ready for that kind of thing... whether you do or don't good luck either way!
    Mrs.KV

Answer by Mrs.KV at 11:11 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Yes, I have done that for 7 yrs. If I could go back and change things, I wouldn't have done it to begin with. It caused to many problems with my now 17 yr old son. It was during his first 7 yrs. With Grandparents and parents living in the same home, when he didn't like what we told him, he would always go to his Grandparents and would only listen to them. He still does this. He would still rather listen to his Grandfather than us. Part of the problem now is that we live too close to each other.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:21 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• We did for 5 months when we first got married. The house we bought needed to be completely rennovated before we could move in (there had been a fire) & we tried living with my inlaws. We ended up separating because it got so bad & did not get back together until the house was done. My MIL was constantly trying to start junk between hubby & me. He woud come in from work & within 5 min she would be like "well, aren't you going to tell him__" It wouldn't matter what it was just any little thing & made it seem like I was keeping things from him. She still tries to pull that crap & now I've learned to simply say that we will talk in private. I don't want her in my business any more than she already is. We bought 90% of the food that was in the house, & she would freely give it away. We took over the utility bills as well (there was no house payment) it was terrible. I would never do it again.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:21 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• i did with my ex-inlaws the FIl for about a year and MIL for a year. (EX husband!)

right now we're staying with my SO's grandmother til he gets back to work (he's been out on workman's comp) so far we've been here for about 2 months.
    proudmommy690

Answer by proudmommy690 at 11:47 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I would never ever survive more then 5 days with my inlaws...I would find someone else before them
    alotleft2do

Answer by alotleft2do at 11:55 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Never could and NEVER will! But GL to those of you that do! =)
    HaydensMama07

Answer by HaydensMama07 at 12:24 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• never did it but i could only imagine i would probably rent an old run down motel room first at least it won't be a lot of mess.
    1LovelyAngel

Answer by 1LovelyAngel at 8:48 PM on Nov. 17, 2010