Reason NOT to join the services?

This is not a hypothetical but I'm not married to him anymore but wondered if you would have done the same thing?
He told me that he was going to join the Army so that we could have more money. He would be stationed in TX. We live in IL. He would be making less at sign up than he currently is. I make almost 3x what he makes. We would have to move and I would have to find a job.
Now if we were already in a bad financial situation, how would this make it any better since I was the main bread-winner?
Yes we would sell the house and those bills would disappear but we would still have many bills that couldn't be paid on only what I was currently making let alone me quitting and not having a job lined up that was comparable.
I am not against the services but was I wrong to tell him that if he joined, that we would no longer be together? After all, how would this in any way benefit us?

This isn't why we divorced.

Jademom07

Asked by Jademom07 at 11:04 PM on Nov. 16, 2010 in Money & Work

• Your decision wasn't so much based on the military per se but the horrible financial choice he was making. It was smart of you not to follow blindly along.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 11:25 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• As long as you do not join for all the wrong reasons, its alright.
    However, MANY join b.c its hard time right now.
    A very BAD reason to join.
    CandyHorse

Answer by CandyHorse at 11:18 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I'm a veteran and a military spouse and I would have done the same thing. You are stable in your life. Why upend everything and revolve your life around his? If I could have a do over, I might have done things different.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 10:14 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• You did the right thing.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 3:04 PM on Nov. 17, 2010