How do u keep Christmas Cheap?

When buying for your sister/aunts/uncles/ect. how do you keep it cheap?
What is your budget per person?
And what type of good gifts have you given that are cheap but nice (wont collect dust in their closet)?

We are really trying to save money but just thinking of buying gifts for everyone is stressing me out! $160 for my family (8 people) and another $140 for his family (6 people) and thats not counting my 4yo dd, my mom, MIL, FIL, GMIL, GFIL who we plan on spending more than $20/each on....
$500 of gifts is just NOT in our budget :'(

How do you do it!?!!!

MommaTasha1003

Asked by MommaTasha1003 at 11:24 PM on Nov. 16, 2010 in Holidays

• Maybe you could do a family movie, or a family game, a movie night basket ( a new movie, popcorn, hot chocolate and some candies, or something) Sometimes we can find some real nice fleece blankets for under 5 bucks.. honestly we have had to make the choice that we can really only buy for our immediate family. I love gifting but its to expensive..
    Itsallgood

Answer by Itsallgood at 12:38 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• i go to thrifty stores it doesnt have 2 be brand new 2 be nice and its the thought that counts a nice mug n a pack of hot coco for the adults n save the money for your childrens toys cuz christmas is really for them right :D hope it helps
    psycholette

Answer by psycholette at 11:29 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Honestly, I'd prefer five dollars to Borders, Macy's or Starbucks over other random gifts. for cheap, I will sometimes pick up a bottle of wine and chocolate with a bow or a cool scarf from the Gap.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:35 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Dollar Stores have decent enough items that maybe ideal gifts that you might be looking for...
    Also, if you love to bake, do up cookie baskets... go to thrift stores and buy baskets of different
    sizes and fill them with goodies, popcorn and a gift card for a rental... maybe some cocoa mix, mug
    and mini marshmallows...
    You don't have to go broke buying gifts.... I do goodie bags and baskets and do some for one whole
    family adding a toy in it for child(ren)... older children (teens) have gotten the movie basket...
    You can find a lot of the stuff at Dollar type stores for these baskets too...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 12:08 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• No time like the present to let them know about not exchanging gifts this year because of money woes. I’m sure they would understand considering economy the way that it is. If that‘s not what you want to do then start baking cookies or pumpkin/banana loaf as a gift giving idea.
    musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 12:11 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I am another one on a budget. I am just buying for my family this year. Our outside family knows we have had it rough. So I think they will be ok with it. I try to buy small gifts and maybe one big one for my three kids.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 10:32 AM on Nov. 17, 2010