My Daughter Is Afraid of Public Bathrooms adult content

She says the toilets are noisey and gross. Her fear has gotten worse over the last year. She has never been hurt in a bathroom. We don't make it a bad thing to go in public. I have told her that we can always cover the seat to help with her germ fear. I have her flush because the reality of life is you have to flush, no matter how much the noise bothers you. Should I not make her flush? Will she grow out of it? She is only 5 and its gotten so bad she would rather hold it then just go. I have explained to her holding it can make her sick but it doesn't phase her. Advice??

ABusyBee

Asked by ABusyBee at 11:32 PM on Nov. 16, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• It could be that the toilets flush before you are ready for them. Most little kids are scared of them because they have a mind of their own. Some even scare me since they sound like they could suck your butt off.
    I always carry a pack of post-its to cover up the sensor, that way, it will only flush when I want it too.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:34 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• It is understandable to be grossed out by public bathrooms but the truth is that there are actually MORE germs on door handles, public telephones, tables, etc. than on a toliet seat. Think of ALL the things people touch with their hands and then touch something else. The only thing that usually touches a toliet seat is your butt cheek. However if she feels more comfortable, she can always put a seat cover or toliet paper on the seat. I always flush with my foot and try to open door handles and turn faucets on with my wrists or elbows if I can. I would just keep reassuring her that she is not going to get some deadly disease from the bathroom and just give her tips on how she can avoid touching the things she doesn't want to touch. Its probably just a phase.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 11:39 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• you could try and get her ear plugs so that the noise is not so loud I think they have the small disposable ones in the hunting section of places like walmart just have her carry one in her pocket, put them in before she goes into the stall and then throw away when shes done
    jen699

Answer by jen699 at 11:46 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• The auto flushers scare the crap out of my 4 yr old. Well even the regular flush noise upsets him. I just "ear muff" his ears. He's a kid. He'll outgrow his fear eventually. But for now, will cover the sensor and ear muff his ears.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 11:46 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• It might sound weird, but maybe you should go in the stall with her for starters. Or go in the stall next to her and say "see, I'm doing it." Personally, I am afraid of public toilets too.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 11:32 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I am not a fan of public toilets either, especially the insanely loud ones. My friends daughter has some serious sensory issues and the loud toilets in public restrooms scare her to death.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 3:46 PM on Nov. 18, 2010