ADHD maybe?

My son is a young third grader. We have had some behavioral issues with him over many years. Only at home though. I am starting to look at the possibility of ADHD. He is also dyslexic. This school year his grades are falling and school work has become a huge battle for our family. I was looking for any advice as to where to start looking for help.

Bwilks

Asked by Bwilks at 11:51 PM on Nov. 16, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• If the behavior issues are happening only at home you could check out ADHD, but also do a search on Elaine Aron's The Highly Sensitive child first. I searched for the past 3 years with my first grade son as to why I was having so many problems at home but none at school this fit him to a tee. I got so frustrated because I felt as though it was me come to find out its not me or him
    Lucy2600

Answer by Lucy2600 at 7:48 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• did u ask his doctor, teacher..maybe they could give u some advice or its a stage that they go through... u should do some research on "ADHD" children and their symptoms..
    nicoleNjeanna

Answer by nicoleNjeanna at 12:21 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• ADHD symptoms are not situationally exclusive - that is, they don 't discriminate. They are consistently present at both home and at school (as well as in other environments). Therefore, if this is happening "only at home", it's not ADHD ... it's environmental.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 12:42 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• It may not be ADHD - as the earlier poster said, the symptoms are consistent. If he is dyslexic it may just be total frustration and the battle over school work is due to that. He is probably doing his best to keep things together at school but by the time he gets home, just can't anymore. Is your school social worker or psychologist any good? Could you talk to him or her about this issue?

My son is also in 3rd grade & it is a hard year, particularly with the No Child Left Behind required testing they now deal with.
    sweetpotato418

Answer by sweetpotato418 at 7:04 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• talk to the teacher and school psychologist if you are concerned. They have resources available.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 3:44 PM on Nov. 18, 2010