What is the safest way to bathe my baby?

My baby will be 10 months old in a few days. He is pulling up a lot and can stand but doesn't have good balance. I'm still using his baby bathtub. Now he is just out of control. He turns around in the baby bath, arches his back, and tries to stand all the time. Is he ready for the big bath tub? How did you handle your babies when they were at this stage?

MommyBird388

Asked by MommyBird388 at 11:57 PM on Nov. 16, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i never used the baby bath tub once they could sit up, around 6 months. give it a try in the big tub and see what happens. just do not take your hands very far from his body!
    annanonnymommy

Answer by annanonnymommy at 12:00 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I have a 9 month old and have been using the big bathtub for a while, since he could sit up. So I think your baby would do fine in the big bathtub. There will still be the issue of standing up in the tub though, so you'll probably have to keep a hand on him a lot of the time.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 12:01 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• yes, i would say he is ready for a big bath tub. if i remember correctly, around that age, my son was in the big bath tub, quite often just sitting and playing with all of his bath toys and bubbles, but he always wanted to try and stand up and i couldnt really stop him so i would let him and just stay close by so that i could catch him in case he fell or anything.. and hes fine! i also didnt fill the water too high. he also loved to lay on his stomach and "swim" in the bath tub. :)
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 12:01 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I either put DD in the sink or I get in the big tub with her. Bathing together is the only way I get my bath or shower.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 12:05 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• With my daughter who's now 3 she took baths with me most of the time from when she was about a month old. She HATED her baby bath, so taht was our solution. As others have said it's probably just fine to try him out in the big tub and see where it goes.
    My son, who is two months also isn't real fond of his baby bather (one of those meshy chairs) so he usually just takes his bath first during my shower get everything ready before hand, temp set, washcloth waiting with soap at the ready and his hair brush leaving the soap open. Then when alls set I hollar for the hubs who stirps him and brings him in then while I'm getting him washed and giving him wet and soapy snuggles daddy makes sure his robe is the right way out so that when he's clean he goes off to daddy who dries him up puts a diaper on and then snuggles him until I get out to lotion and dress him for bed.
    JadeRDragosani

Answer by JadeRDragosani at 12:24 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• You can either use the big tub (filled to his waist level or so), or, what has worked best for us, was to bring him into the shower with one of us. He loves it, it puts him right to sleep, and we kill 2 birds with one stone. We just do it when we're both home (like right before his bedtime), so that he can be washed first, and the dry parent can get him out with the warm towel from the dryer and let the other person continue their shower. DS is now old enough to stand in the shower (age 2), and he loves to hold the shower head.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:32 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• You could try the big tub. Just keep one hand on him at all times. Or you could use the kitchen sink.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 12:49 AM on Nov. 17, 2010