When should you use toothpaste with fluoride?

When should you switch from the toddler training toothpaste to regular adult toothpaste? I noticed my son swallows most of the adult paste we use and I am wondering if we should switch back to toddler toothpaste. Or does he need the fluoride? He is 2 and a half.

Asked by mommytoJames512 at 11:59 PM on Nov. 16, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I tell patients 6/7 years old, when they brush, spit, rinse. And you should still be applying the paste for them. Their are childrens toothpaste to use both with and with out flouride.

Answer by DonnaPinitonya at 12:35 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• You can move to adult toothpaste when the child spits properly.

Answer by at 12:00 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Use much smaller amount. Probably a small pearl size.

Answer by BlueSaphire at 12:02 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• i just asked my DR that and he said they cant use toothpaste with floride until they are at least 5-7 when they can learn to rinse and spit with water.
    you should have asked your DR before you switched him to adult tooth paste. you better call your DR and make sure hes okay now that hes swollowed all the floride.

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 12:02 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• DS is 2, and we generally use fluoride-free still (though we have used fluoride toothpaste in a pinch). He should be using fluoride supplements if your water doesn't have fluoride. You don't want to use too much fluoride, because it can cause fluorosis, which are discolorations on teeth that are more white than the rest of the tooth (I have them on my front teeth).
    At his age, he's probably swallowing much more than he's spitting out. If you MUST use fluoride toothpaste, use a pea-sized amount or less.

Answer by musicpisces at 12:14 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• He didn't swallow all that much fluoride. He tries to spit I just don't think he really gets any of it out of his mouth.

Comment by mommytoJames512 (original poster) at 12:05 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Use non-fluoridated toothpaste until your child learns to spit. Swallowing fluoride toothpaste is toxic in large quantities. As long as your thoroughly brushing your child's teeth, you don't really need toothpaste period.

Answer by Fallaya at 1:51 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Use the non-fluoride paste until he can spit well. If he tries to spit and you think he would do well rinsing his mouth, then maybe try having him rinse with a cup of water after brushing to be sure he spit it all out. Otherwise, you might want to hold off until he seems to be spitting well.

Answer by pam19 at 9:02 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I use adult tooth paste with my 2 year old just a tiny bit. a lot less then what i use. smaller then pea size

Answer by cherryzz08 at 2:04 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Even the FDA admits that no amount of fluoride is safe for human consumption.

Answer by glenndoir at 12:17 AM on Nov. 17, 2010