if you host thanksgiving at your home

what do you do in advance to prepare?

such as making certain foods ahead of time? what kind of special cleaning do you do? etc.

stressedmomma13

Asked by stressedmomma13 at 12:12 AM on Nov. 17, 2010 in Home & Garden

• The house gets deep cleaned the day before and the pies get baked, the eggs get boiled for deviled eggs..then the day of, I make my appetizers then I prepare the full meal while everyone eats the munchies
    alotleft2do

Answer by alotleft2do at 12:17 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• This will be my first year and it's just us and our friends, most of us fall into that lovely catagory of night owls plus my toddler is used to a late dinner. Since my hubs has to work until 7 we're having dinner after he gets off and then following it up with games (and ben wants to watch that discovery punkin chunkin or whatever it is with the mythebuster guys).
    Myonly preplanning currently consists of going to KFC the day before to pick up coleslaw! I'm cheating there. We may end up making the cranberry sauce and pies ahead as well. I guess really the one who has chef training needs to help me create a plan!
    JadeRDragosani

Answer by JadeRDragosani at 12:19 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I do the same exact thing alotleft2do does!!! It works great that way :)

jnsdrf

Answer by jnsdrf at 12:19 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• i make the pies and breads the day before
    Justins_mommy05

Answer by Justins_mommy05 at 12:22 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I make almost everything I can the day before. The only thing I really make the day of is the turkey, gravy, and sometimes sauteed mushrooms.
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 12:53 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Major, major cleaning! Of course I do the shopping but most of the cooking is done the day of...it's part of my "getting in the spirit of Thanksgiving" thing.
    ShouldHaveLeft

Answer by ShouldHaveLeft at 8:10 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• We had my in-laws for Thanksgiving two years ago. We deep cleaned and made all the guest beds. The only food I made ahead were the pies. Pumpkin and upside down apple. Thanksgiving day my MIL, SIL, and I cooked. My husband and FIL put up the lights outside and my BIL kept my husband's alzheimers grandma entertained.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 6:17 PM on Nov. 17, 2010