Why can't I get my baby to eat food?

My baby is going to be 10 months old and he is SUPER picky about what he eats. Maybe he's not picky but just doesn't enjoy eating. He's never been a baby to put things in his mouth, even when he was teething when he was younger, he didn't like it very much at all. Perhaps that is part of it. He has eaten bananas, sweet potatoes, and avocados when he feels like it. But really bananas is the only thing he has seemed to truly enjoy. When he eats I try to make eating as interesting and as fun as possible. He always wants to take the spoon, so I gave him his own spoon, I gave him the spoon with the food on it, and the bowl. Anything so he will eat. I've tried to feed him what I eat but that didn't work either. Has anyone else had this problem? How did you solve it?

MommyBird388

Asked by MommyBird388 at 12:24 AM on Nov. 17, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Maybe try some Cheerios on the tray?
    mommytoJames512

Answer by mommytoJames512 at 12:29 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Sounds like you are on the right track, keep giving him what he will eat but make sure he gets enough variety and milk. He will figure it all out so don't stress. Eat with him too so he sees everyone eats.
    DonnaPinitonya

Answer by DonnaPinitonya at 12:30 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Just keep letting him lead. Give him easy to eat foods on his high chair tray, and let him explore them. Have you tried crackers or puffs or other textures besides the fruits you mentioned? Variety might be key. :)
    sojourner.

Answer by sojourner. at 12:31 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• How many times are you giving him a new food before giving up? It can take 20-30 exposures for them to finally like something. Never give up! You're smart to feed him what you're eating (made to the right texture for him, of course). You can give him spices that you eat, like garlic, curry, etc. DS has been exposed to all that stuff from a pretty early age (I didn't hold back when he was nursing either), and now at 2, he will eat almost anything. He eats stuff spicier than DH will. He's even had sushi! (my in laws are Japanese). The kid will eat almost anything! But with a lot of foods, it took trying and trying and trying again. Never give up on a food. Just try it again tomorrow and the next day and the next day, or next week, etc. Babies have food moods like we do ("I'm not in the mood for peas"), so be aware of that, too. Just keep trying, mama! =) Good luck!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:46 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• They don't NEED anything but breastmilk or formula until after a year. At his age, I would only be giving finger foods anyway.
    clovismommy25

Answer by clovismommy25 at 12:48 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Actually, breastmilk only gives all the essential nutrients that a baby needs up until 6 months, after that I know for sure that they need more Vitamin D/Iron.
    MommyBird388

Comment by MommyBird388 (original poster) at 1:23 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Breastmilk is sufficient nutrition for the first year of life, up until then food is really just for practice anyway. I would not worry about it. Just keep offering food.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 10:39 AM on Nov. 17, 2010