Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

my 9 year old son is being harrassed by an adult in our neighborhood, school and police had been contacted. my son is scared of this mom and is starting to have nightmares, what else can i do?

Answer Question

Asked by blackbirdsings at 8:25 PM on Nov. 3, 2008 in General Parenting

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (16)
  • I would keep in touch with the police to make sure something is being done. In the meantime, let your son know that you won't let any harm come to him. Im sorry your family is going though this, hopefully the police will do something about it soon.

    Answer by TAG2.0 at 8:28 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

  • If this were me, I would not be sitting here asking people on a board what to do. I would be taking matters into my own hands.

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:31 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

  • "If this were me, I would not be sitting here asking people on a board what to do. I would be taking matters into my own hands. "

    Nothing illegal I hope.She's asking for advice on the situation, what's wrong with that?

    Answer by TAG2.0 at 8:36 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

  • I would definately have gone to the police (like you said) and I'd have my OWN little talk with her as well. If she continued harrassing my kid, I'd be pressing charges. That's ridiculous.

    Answer by ReneeK3 at 8:51 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

  • give him an aerosol air horn. if she harasses him, tell him to blow it at her long enough to make her leave him alone. I would be sure he's the type of child who can be trusted to not abuse it tho.

    Answer by teri4lance at 8:57 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

  •  i do understand the feeling of wanting to act upon what she has done to him;  but this is all based on her lies about my son, and if my husband and i did something rash/violent, it would only be giving them fuel for this fire and the ability to blame us for this situation/make excuses for her behavior. we've all heard horror stories about what can happen in our courts these days, and i will not lower myself to her level, that would set a bad example for our children! thanks so much for all your help ladies, it's nice to see the support!  blackbirdswing



    Answer by blackbirdsings at 9:24 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

  • We have something here called a "PFA" or Prevention From Abuse, where you get a court order that prevents the person in question from coming within a specified amt. of distance of you and from having any kind of contact with you, either spoken or written word. Maybe you could get something like that to keep this woman away from your son? If she breaks the PFA, it's a quick trip to jail, no questions asked.

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:24 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

  • First of all, I'd definitely look into a restraining order to prevent her from speaking or coming near your son. In addition, I'd get him a therapist (or counselor) to help him deal with this. Also, some of my therapists are "forensics" specialists and they could help get a restraining order based on trauma to an "at-risk" minor. Most therapists can write a letter to the courts supporting a restraining order, but some won't -- so be sure to ask.

    Answer by WD40 at 9:37 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

  • What is this woman's problem. Does your son play in her yard or something along those lines, or does this woman have some kind of personal vendetta? She sounds like a wack-job- who the hell picks on a young boy!! Be sure you have filed every legal document you can- just in case something should ever happen where you end up in court you have all of your t's crossed and i's dotted.
    Also, the idea of the airhorn is good. Give your child something that will make him feel that he can 'defend' himself from her verbal assaults. Good luck, i am sorry you and your family have to deal with this situation

    Answer by bloomsr at 9:42 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

  • I would have a little talk with this woman and let her know, very nicely, that she is not going to continue terrorizing your son, you are not going to allow it. And don't talk to her alone be sure to have witnesses that can back you up if she says you threatened her.

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:53 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.