How did you prepare your child(ren) for a new sibling?

xxhazeldovexx

Asked by xxhazeldovexx at 12:50 AM on Nov. 17, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I only had one, one DS... What we did was showed a lot of baby pictures and books. We bought a "little sister" book. as well as a "big brother" book. I told him everyday there was a baby coming. Point to my stomach, have him rub the "baby", and he would even talk, kiss and hug her. We just got him so excited for being a big brother (he was 2). Now hes the most amazing big brother anyone could ever ask for. He loves to hold her, he talks to her, he covers her up with blankets, and he comes and gets me if he hears any kind of crying. One thing to look out for though. My son tries to feed her too, food she couldn't have yet :)

kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 11:52 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• When we told our 1st DS that we were going to finally havea 2nd baby, almost 9yrs apart, he sat down and cried," I just knew God would finally listen. I've been praying for a little brother every night."
    We took him with us for the ultrasound and when we found out that it was indeed a boy we let him name his brother. He also was the 1st person after DH and I hold out new little one. We also let him bring his baby home from the hospital by letting him put the baby in the car seat and he carried him into the house for the 1st time. At every step we made sure to include him with all of the firsts with the baby, so that he knew he was important. We also made sure to spend time with just him, so that he didn't feel like the baby totally took over.
    dmbutler

Answer by dmbutler at 1:11 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• We have taken our 3yr old to ultrasounds and have pictures from them on show, alongside photos of our son so he can see them. We have also allowed him to pick out clothes for the baby when we have been out shopping. We had to redecorate to make space for both children so he's been very involved in picking out colours etc for their new room. Family memebers have also given our son small gifts when they have brought things for the baby so he hasn't felt left out. I have also watched birthing programmes with him and he is very interested in noticing the ladies having babies and also in looking at the babies and noticing things they do. We also plan to buy a gift from the baby to our son when the baby is born. We also talk about things the baby might do when he is here, for example, he will cry and drink milk etc. And we talk about our son being a big brother and being able to teach the baby things in the future which he enjoys.
    MeAndLo

Answer by MeAndLo at 1:14 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• My oldest son was 4 yrs old. I sat him down and explain that he was going to have a sister and a brother.
    He was happy.
    HomeAlone45

Answer by HomeAlone45 at 7:43 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I would talk to her about the new arrival to come and make her feel my tummy so she could feel the movement.

Answer by older at 1:48 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• It wasn't to hard, my son was 11. I just let him know he was having a new brother or sister, he was very happy.
    1Giovanni

Answer by 1Giovanni at 12:54 AM on Nov. 23, 2010