What is the best position to sleep in while pregnant and what positions should you stay away from and why?

xxhazeldovexx

Asked by xxhazeldovexx at 12:54 AM on Nov. 17, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Lying on your side with your knees bent is probably the most comfortable. Most doctors specify to sleep on your left side for improved circulation. It keeps the weight off your uterus, your liver, and the large vain (inferior vena cava<< Im pretty sure) which is the vain that carries blood back to the heart from your feet and legs. If you have problems staying on your side talk to your doctor. I used to just stay on my side and lift on leg up a little ways if that makes sense... slightly on my tummy. Until I got to big :)
    kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 12:01 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• As long as you avoid laying flat on your back, you're okay. You can use pillows to lean toward one side or the other. The aorta runs behind the uterus along the vertebral column (spine), so when you lay flat on your back, you put pressure on the aorta, which decreases blood flow to your uterus and your legs. Laying on your side (either is fine, but left is the preferred side), or even your stomach, are fine. There is enough fluid around the baby to protect him or her from being squished by a stomach sleeping mom. I managed to sleep on my stomach throughy entire pregnancy with the use of a body pillow. Pillows can really help you get comfortable. Just be prepared to wake up completely every time you need to move, between your stomach and your need to adjust the pillows!!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:07 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Stay off of your back. The left side is supposed to be the best. Use lots of pillows for comfort.
    EverydayMomma

Answer by EverydayMomma at 12:56 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I've heard that sleeping on the left side gives the best blood flow to the baby, improves mom's kidney functioning (helps to reduce swelling), and reduces pressure on the liver (located on the right side of your body).

Refer to http://www.thelaboroflove.com/articles/what-is-the-best-position-to-sleep-in-while-pregnant/ for more details.

DivaDynamite

Answer by DivaDynamite at 8:00 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• stay off back and belly. The left side is the best way to sleep.
    proudmommy690

Answer by proudmommy690 at 12:57 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Yes to #3, the vein in called the Inferior / Posterior Vena Cava. It can get pinched under the weight of your growing uterus and cut off blood flow. It is best to avoid deliberately laying on your back for extended periods of time.

Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 1:16 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• stay off your back and belly. left side. get a big soft pillow
    HomeAlone45

Answer by HomeAlone45 at 7:23 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I sleep on my left side because it is most comfortable! Laying on my back and my right side becomes painful.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 10:30 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• get a figure 8 pillow...aka the infinity pillow...it works miracles
    chanelsparkels

Answer by chanelsparkels at 5:43 PM on Nov. 22, 2010