i have read alot about others also feeling pain as they recieved a spine epadural and also having pain at tge injection sight afterwards for months and years. has anyone found out the problem for why this happens and or received any resolution on either topic.

payton625

Asked by payton625 at 12:59 AM on Nov. 17, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I didn't have any problems with mine. But I have a friend who is a anesthesiologist, so I was very well informed. He told me if I was having head or back aches after the epi that I should make sure they do a "blood patch" to make sure CSF isn't leaking out thru the injection site and causing the pain. Good luck... the Epi was one of the best choices I made during labor!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 1:19 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I had one with both of my deliveries and have never had any problems whatsoever. With any procedure there are risks, and it depends on the skill of the anesthesiologist who inserts the epidural. I have known one person who had chronic headaches for years afterwards, but that's the only person I know that's had a problem. Hope that helps...
    heathermarie32

Answer by heathermarie32 at 1:21 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I had two so far, I plan to have a third next month when I have my baby... I never once had pain or any problems with mine. The ONLY thing that could be seen as an issue is I have a small scar on my back and a patch of dry skin there, that's IT... So it itches from time to time, but never any pain, never any issues what so ever... And two pain free deliveries...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:47 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I would think that one of 2 things happened. Either it didn't heal right OR it wasn't done properly. I've had 3 kids and got the epi with all and all I felt was a pinch when they first put it in on my last one and that was it.
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 2:41 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• The epidural doesn't always cover completely:
    "The epidural may also give only “spotty” coverage, where one side of the body receives anesthetic while the other half does not or where coverage is otherwise incomplete."

And back problems are a risk with it:
    "The incidence of chronic back pain (lasting weeks to months) is reported at 10-15%. " There is even a risk of permanent nerve damage.

Many women prefer to avoid these risks and find natural coping techniques. ~Something to consider.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:56 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I didnt feel any pain with mine at all.But it did stop working and when I had my emergency c-section they had to give me another.That one didnt hurt either but I wasnt very happy to have to get another.
    aliceinlove

Answer by aliceinlove at 11:12 AM on Nov. 17, 2010