Back Pain

I know my bed doesn't help and I am trying to work on having good posture again but I don't like meds so what med would you use and why to relive the pain and stress my back has constantly been feeling? And if not meds, how?

DonnaPinitonya

Asked by DonnaPinitonya at 1:02 AM on Nov. 17, 2010 in Health

• Strengthening the supporting muscles of your core can make a huge difference. Plank, push ups, sit ups, etc are great ways to target the back and core. You should also try stretching it out. Go easy on it, and listen to your body to avoid further injury. Good luck!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:13 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Ibuprofen and core strengthening (back and ab strengtheing)!!!! Sleeping with a pillow between your knees can help as well if you bed is in bad shape.

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 1:13 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Yeah but just b/c you are active it doesn't mean you are doing any strengthening for your abs & back muscles specifically. And all the hard falls in the derbys can't be that great on your SI joint. You should also try ice after activity as well.

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 1:22 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Thats the thing, I am highly active- not just with DD but I roller derby too! I'm starting to get frustrated. I also already use a pillow from having bad injuries to my knees and legs in general. : ( I'm 72 in a 26 year olds body! lol
    DonnaPinitonya

Comment by DonnaPinitonya (original poster) at 1:17 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I ice, I heat, I just think I'm going to have to give in to some meds... eww.
    DonnaPinitonya

Comment by DonnaPinitonya (original poster) at 1:26 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Something sounds fishy. In this post you do nothing but complain about back pain and then go out and play sports that have no other value in them but to create even more problems for your back. I don't think it has anything to do with your bed, pillows, etc. Although even after most posters answering your question have given you ideas to try, you shoot them down. It doesn't sound like you are doing anything in this question but moaning and groaning about self inflicted "owies" and then complaining when anyone offers advice. I am not going to offer advice because I am pretty certain that you would have some reason for it not to work..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:46 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Anon, I'm not shooting down, Im saying I have tried it. And personally I feel better in shape than out of shape and you don't know what caused prior injuries and trust me, they weren't "self inflicted". Also, my activity level is supported by my drs and physical therapist. My main question is what meds help since I don't take meds- when I can afford a new bed I will get one but other than judging- you could just ask more questions.
    DonnaPinitonya

Comment by DonnaPinitonya (original poster) at 1:52 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Crafty and Music- just so you ladies know, you have made me think what I can do more of and less of by saying what you did so don't think I'm in anyway ungreatful.
    DonnaPinitonya

Comment by DonnaPinitonya (original poster) at 1:54 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I have had major back pain for the past 23 yrs made even more problematic by a major car accident I was in over a decade ago while 9 mos pregnant. That's why this sound so fishy because if you are really in all this much pain, you certainly would not be participating in sports much less a pretty aggressive contact sport. If you were trying to make an SSI case or insurance claim for damages and they knew you were out playing roller derby, you would lose your case. Hands down. Real people with real back pain that is unbearable in which they have "tried everything" DO not do what you are doing. If you want meds for your back pain, I can guarantee you won't get anything stronger than 800 mg ibuprofen. Major back pain is pain that makes your normal daily living activities unbearable; not "oh, I think I want to roller derby. This whole "question" is absurd! Sounds fishy. I smell a rat.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:03 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• First off, I'm not trying to make any claim- never did and never will because accidents happen and I have great support.
    2nd, I'm not trying to get any type of med. I try hard to stay away from that so a Tylenol would probly work.
    3rd, where did I say major? I said pain and stress, not unbearable. Just because yours is, which is horrible, doesn't mean mine is.

You can feel the way you feel. I just wanted to ask people how they releave their back pain, not start drama. Please don't respond again unless you have something helpful to say.
    DonnaPinitonya

Comment by DonnaPinitonya (original poster) at 2:13 AM on Nov. 17, 2010