Weight gain in a 2 year old adult content

To make a long story short my son was born august 2008 and was 7lbs 1 oz. after he lost the water weight and went home he was 6lbs 13 oz. I was 6lbs 13 oz when i was born, my brother and sister around 7lbs. My mom is 53 years old and weight approx 115lbs, my grandma(her mom) is about the same at age 76. I am 23 years old and considered overweight but ever since i hit puberty I have gained some weight and been a bigger girl with bigger boobs, etc. My sons dad is shorter than average guy and small to ave build. My son has a WIC appnt this wk and they keep bugging me about his weight. He is 2 years old and 4 months and weighs approx 24.5 lbs. They keep telling me to force him 2 gain more weight, i try so many foods he eats everything! he is a great eater but is so active as well. he still fits into some 18 month pants but wears 24 mos tops. I feel if he doesnt gain more weight they will take him away. what to do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:22 AM on Nov. 17, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I don't think they can take him away for being a smaller than average baby! Gosh- you know how badly the foster care system would be overflowing? They will take a child away if their life is in danger, if they are being neglected or abused. if he's wering 24 mos clothes than he is ok. I'd prob just keep him on whole milk for a while and feed him foods like mashed potatoes and pancakes! (don't get crazy and start giving him donuts and candy!) u could also try the pediasure, if it is for kids as young as 2. But don't panic, unless he is boney- you feel ribs when you pick him up.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:32 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• In my opinion his weight is FINE!!! My son was the same exact weight at his age. My daughter was 28.5lbs at our last WIC appt. a month ago and she was 2yrs 5 months old. Every child is different and every child gains and loses weight differently. Is your sons pediatrician concerned? If not then I wouldn't worry about it. Your son seems to be at the perfect weight for him and how active he is. WIC said my daughter is at a perfect weight and your son is only a few pounds shy of that so I really wouldn't worry about it and they aren't going to take your son away because he is a few pounds shy of other kids his age. If he was significantly underweight then I would be worried, but he seems to be a good weight for his age to me. GL and try not to worry so much. (HUGS)

jnsdrf

Answer by jnsdrf at 1:35 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Its not up to WIC, now if your PEDIATRICIAN shows concern then its time to think deeper. WIC uses a "guide" and we all know not every baby is born with blonde hair, brown eyes,the same weight, height, etc. We are all "predestined" by our genes and chromosomes. They can only "predict" where your son should be and compare on a chart in a percentile degree how far off he is. Did you know they use different charts for different ethnic groups? What if your son gened in on some ancestor routes outside of the specific ethnic group they put him in? Don't worry about it, unless your ped is. I have three kids ages 5,4, 7 months, and they are all different in size at birth, and comparable size growing in the first year. My first daughter was 21 pounds at 3 months, but my 7month old now is 16 pounds. Same parents!! Imagine that, dont worry, your son is eating, drinking, talking, and playing, he is a-ok!
    tsjpop

Answer by tsjpop at 2:10 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Have confedence in yourself as a mom.. you are taking great care of your child and dont let anyone make you feel otherwise! If your child is growing consistanly on the growth curve when you take her to her well baby exams and her dr is not concerned.. don't worry... WIC is a great program, but they don't have the authority to take your child away.. or even make that kind of threat.. ALL kids are different.. My son is 17 months old and he weighs 32lbs and is 36 inches tall which is OFF the charts for a child of his age.. but he is HWP and his dr is pleased with his growth... My advice is to tell your WIC counsler that you appreicate the concern .. but you are feeding your child healthy well balanced meals and your baby's doctor has said she is growning just fine.. if you contiue to feel uncomfortable report your concerns to a manager at the WIC office... good luck
    redhed1383

Answer by redhed1383 at 3:26 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• All you have to tell them is that the pediatrician is not concerned and is satisfied with his growth curve.
    My daughter was 20 pounds at 6 months old, strictly BFing... She started solids at 10 months old but did not gain more than an ounce a month until 18 months old! Now at 21 months she's just barely 24 pounds. No clue why she doesnt gain since she eats more than I do! She will finish her plate and start working on mine lol. Anyways, at 6 months old WIC told me she was overweight. Every visit after that they thought she was under weight... Honestly, most of them couldnt find their ass with a map so don't be concerned about it if the doctor is happy and baby is happy and meeting milestones on time.
    TwoSugars

Answer by TwoSugars at 1:48 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• My daughter is 2.5 years old and probably weighs 26 pounds. IMO, your son's weight is just fine.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 1:48 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• It's WIC, if his dr isn't concerned tell them not to be. Also- my DD is a couple months younger and skinny too. Kids, like adults, have different bodies and his seems to be right inline with his genes.
    Maybe try to find another WIC close to you.
    DonnaPinitonya

Answer by DonnaPinitonya at 2:27 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• My best friends little sister is like that she cant gain weight for anything her dr even got to the point of telling them to have her eat butter. Some people are small and nothing can change that our bodies work different then the next. I wouldnt stress it as long as he is healthy and taken care of there is nothing they can do,
    hopenalivia

Answer by hopenalivia at 6:16 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• My twins weighed about 15 lbs at 2 years old, my youngest was 30 lbs at 2. Don't worry as long as he's healthy.
    sweet29mom

Answer by sweet29mom at 1:21 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• They tell me the same thing. my daughter is 22 lbs and 2 years old. She is underweight yes. But what do I do? I can not shove food down her throat. She has days where she barely eats and has been that way since she was 1. The doctor told me to have her eat butter with everything. I dont agree with that. Plus, what if she is not eating. There has to be some special drink loaded with calories. i dont know what to do. My son is very chunky at a year old he is 19 lbs. Yea 3 lbs different and a year apart.
    cherryzz08

Answer by cherryzz08 at 2:00 PM on Nov. 17, 2010