Health care bill question

I work as a server for one of the restaurant chains mentioned in a previous post, however my background with the company as a former manager means that it's compulsory for me to help out occasionally with in house HR issues. Especially when it comes to navigating our benefit system, which is limited and kind of tricky.

So, here's my question, and this is not intended to be a put down in any way of the plan. You all already know how I feel, so why go there again?
I want to know, if any of you know, what happens to the people who receive insurance from companies who have gotten waivers, because their insurance programs don't "make the grade" according to the HCR bill, since they are mandated to purchase a certain level of insurance, and their employers are obviously not providing that, and have gotten the okay not to?

These are not wealthy people and can not afford to purchase a second plan.

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 1:28 AM on Nov. 17, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I wonder if the rules have yet been written for that scenario ... 85% of the requirements mentioned in the various clauses were marked "to be determined by", "to be established by", "guidelines to be created by" some bureaucrat or director or board who had not yet been appointed or hired.

So I understand from the MRI corporation, which is a major client of ours, that they just really don't know. And our health insurance agent also just doesn't know, and our health plan, Kaiser, is just raising the rates a lot.

As to how people are going to obey the gov't regulation that they find and purchase insurance which covers the gov't's required list, it looks like their best hope is that those 23 states suing against this requirement because it's un-Constitutional will win !!
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 2:48 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• From what I understand they are allowed to keep business as usual to 2014, and do NOT have to "pay into" ObamaCare (thus lowering the revenue generated from ObamaCare) like other corporations do. Now, I have heard (no confirmation, yet) that in 2014, the corp. will then be able to "dump" these employees into the Federally funded Health Care program.. This of course would result in a GROWTH in Medicaid without corporate contributions into the system to match the increase in subsidized care dependents.... If this is true, then this will be another case of NOT enough revenue contributing to the tax system to fund the program.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 3:24 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Just like what happened here in TN when they had their experiment back in the 90's grly..
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 6:11 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• It's my understanding that the employers are going to sit and wait on it, and then unload the employees into the government system. Granted, our clients typically have less than 25 employees and did not fall into most guidelines in the past, word of mouth is that the fines imposed would be passed onto the consumer and the employees will be dumped into government insurance. I suppose I should do more research, but I just can't find the time and they don't pay me for this issue. Most of them are waiting on repeals and rulings about the constitutionality of it all prior to the 2014 date.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 7:43 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Sounds to me like they go on as before. I don't believe for a minute that the reason they are getting waivers is because their plans do not make the grade. They just don't want to spend the money. They want to keep the power to negotiate and choose plans that work for the employees. As for the unions, I'm not sure because unions typically promise wonderful benefits and health care. I still theink they see it as taking their power away.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 10:14 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I was under the impression that the employees of those companies didn't have too....

but as with everything else govt..Im sure there will be more to come

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 12:41 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

That is what happened in Hawaii, too... And it cost Hawaii DEARLY...

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 1:17 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• According to Robert Gibbs, "The waivers are about ensuring and protecting the coverage that people have until there are better options available to them in 2014."

Question: Who defines "better option"? Liberal Lemming Gibbs?

IF that is the case it is my opinion that "better" to him and his boss means Government Health Care (pushing them to medicaid)...

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 1:35 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Look at the Message ObamaCare has sent.....

Good Enough for Americans....
    But not good enough for Congress, so they exempted themselves
    Not good enough for certain Companies (political clout?), so they receive a waiver
    Not good enough for unions (political clout), so they receive a waiver..

Doesn't this speak volumes to anyone?
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 1:39 PM on Nov. 17, 2010