Potty Training

I have a 14 week old pit american bull dog mix..She knows that she's suposed to go outside and i praise her when she does.. But she Still goes in the house too.. I look for the signs when she has to go out and sometimes she doesnt even bother sitting by the door to go outside. Anyone else have a stubborn pup that only half gets it? any tips and suggestions are welcome!

tnteaton

Asked by tnteaton at 8:35 PM on Nov. 3, 2008 in Pets

• And for those who are gonna tell me to Crate train her, i don't have a crate or money for one...Thanks
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 8:37 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• I have a 13 week old pomeranian he pees on the floor all the time and he is being very stubborn too.... you fig it out let me kno.. same here bout the crate training:o)
    emturner

Answer by emturner at 8:40 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• lol...ya lemme know if you figure it out! pain in the fucking ass!!
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 8:41 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• If you work out of the house and don't have money to crate train, can you put up a gate in a laundry room? Or some type of small room that gives the illusion of crate training? (and is easy to clean up when there are accidents) If you catch the pup going potty inside, show it to her (I'm personally not a fan of shoving the nose in poop) and tell her no and bring her outside right away. They key is to be really consistent. take her out every day at the same time and just wait. Obviously, throw the ticker tape parade each time the mission has been accomplished. Good luck! I have 3 pit mixes and they are the most stubborn animals on earth. Wish I had more advice for you. Maybe try craigslist or yard sales for a crate? It really makes life a million times easier!
    dogcatnbabymom

Answer by dogcatnbabymom at 8:48 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• Your poor pup should have been trained since it could get up and walk away to pee and poo. Don't know if you got it from someone else....but you can get those potty pads and put one on the floor in a room or a couple of rooms....when the puppy has an accident....show the dog...not shove or put it's face in it but show the dog and say in a authoritve voice...NO, bad dog...then take the puppy to the pad...which you get the pad and put some of it's urine or poo on it and place the dog on the pad. Keep doing this and it will learn to GO ON the pad (praise them also on the pad)!! Still take it outside when you can and praise them for that to. It will get easier though.
    stayhomemom22

Answer by stayhomemom22 at 9:33 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• Well, i have a crate, but it's 8 hrs south of where i live..i got the dog from someone else who pad trained her and i think thats why she still goes in the house. i do not agree what so ever with puppy pads..that's just laziness..when they're big enough to be away from mom, they need to be going outside..we've decided to make a mix of vinegar and water in a spray bottle and spray it in her mouth when she goes. the vinegar wont hurt her, just make a nasty taste..kinda like those apple sprays they sell at pet stores...has anyone else tried that?? i hope this one works..she's really smart other than that and is a quick learner.
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 10:09 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• oh, and i dont work out of the home.. im a SAHM..so i have plenty of time to constantly take her outside.
    tnteaton

• Well on the puppy pads...that's your opinion I guess. Mine was trained to use it before I got her and I used it until she was able to go outside and I don't have any problems with her going in the house what so ever, I to am a stay at home mom and take her out all the time and she goes. Guess it's just the dog breed then or you just have to really watch your pet for it's signals. What works for one dog (in my case it worked) doesn't work for another dog (in your case it doesn't.) Good luck!!! :))
    stayhomemom22

Answer by stayhomemom22 at 10:56 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• it doesnt matter what kind of breed you have, some dogs are stubborn and some arent. my point about the pads are, if they're old enough to get up and pee on their own, why not just take them outside.. Especially if youre a SAHM, it gives us SAHM's no excuse but to just teach them to go outside. why still use a puppy pad? why use one period? i understand when they still have to be with mom. i see her signs, she's just being stubborn. and yes, mine too was trained to use those before i got her. i never used them after i got her.. i guess this is more a question of the pro's...or hopefully my vinegar and water spray will work.
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 1:32 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• Well if you stay home then and have plenty of time to take the dog out...then it shouldn't be peeing and pooping in your home!! Your asking a question for help and when your given help you belittle someone's suggestion( just because you know the other people used pads and you won't TRY them so you think they don't work?)....I would say if your not open to at least try what someone suggests then don't ask the question....:)) WHY WHY in the world would anyone spray vinegar and water in a pets mouth if it's peeing and pooping in the house? Mouth...butt...not the same area...please explain that one to me, I'm sure others would like to know. You don't want to know what I think it is your doing!!! :(( And how would you know I am NOT a pro? Hmmmm?
    stayhomemom22

Answer by stayhomemom22 at 10:20 AM on Nov. 4, 2008