Letting a Mom friend borrow baby clothes?

I shop at resale shops with my mom and she buys pretty much all of my baby clothes. When my baby outgrows his clothes we take them back to the resale shops for cash or to trade in for more. My baby just moved up a size in clothing and my mom has already bought a lot of clothes to fit him because she had extra money and we didn't have to trade it in immediately. Well the thing is I just made a new mommy friend a week ago and we've hit it off pretty well so far. One of the things that we both have in common is that both of us are very tight on money. My new friend's baby wears the size that my baby just outgrew. My thought was that maybe I could wait for her baby to outgrow them before I take them to be traded in and let her borrow them in the meantime. I guess I'm asking if this is appropriate or inappropriate. And am I too involved or too willing to give to someone that I just met a week ago? (BTW, My mom wouldn't mind)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:38 AM on Nov. 17, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• What if the clothes get a bunch of stains in them? Formula fed babies have nasty stains if not sprayed and sometimes scrubbed before washing. It would be an awesome deal for her if she took good care of the clothes and was aware that the clothes were on loan!
    LadyofIvory

Answer by LadyofIvory at 1:44 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I'm not sure if she bfs or formula feeds, it's just something to think about!
    LadyofIvory

Answer by LadyofIvory at 1:45 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I would tell my friend about it just being borrowing and that I plan to sell them back later.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:47 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Either give them outright or sell them now. If you do the borrow until he out grows them, it will turn out badly... it always does.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:51 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• You're very sweet and very thoughtful.....either way...:)
    Momma_Nukem

Answer by Momma_Nukem at 2:09 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I think its great you want to help out another mom.. very sweet.. I would take 75% of my things to the resale shop and loan out 25% of my things to my friend, let her know that you'd like to resell them when she is through.. this way you can get the extra money you need to get the next size for your own baby while still helping out another mom.. plus you'll earn extra brownie points.. and you know what they say.. what goes around comes around.. and that goes for the good stuff too! :) Be blessed.
    redhed1383

Answer by redhed1383 at 2:36 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• You could give a couple of the outfitts and sell the others
    symle456

Answer by symle456 at 2:38 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Well, if your mom is the one buying the clothes and you and she have this prior arrangement, then I would run it past her before doing anything.
    ShouldHaveLeft

Answer by ShouldHaveLeft at 7:51 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I think it's very thoughtful of you. But be prepared for anything............if they get stained, ripped, etc. If you can be comfortable with these things happening by chance, then go ahead. If not, don't loan them. Make sure she knows it's a loan. Glad for you that you have a new friend!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:29 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I would only let her borrow them if you are prepared to not get them back because it happens.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 10:34 AM on Nov. 17, 2010