Is it normal for almost 4 year old to do math?

My son is going to be 4 in a week .Since 2 months ago he has been able to count to 12,to add to 10 using his fingers even additon with zero, subtraction to 5,and grater numbers to 10.He loves it and wants me to "play numbers" with him every day.

VienaMira

Asked by VienaMira at 1:47 AM on Nov. 17, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• i dont think its normal..but i think thats great!! LOL kids learn soo much when they dont even know theyre doing it..as long as its a game, and youre not forcing it on the kids (which you said you werent) keep at it!! my daughter is 6..and math is something that she has never been able to do..and we work on it CONSTANTLY!! she can count...and do like verrrrrry basic math..but yaa, its frustrating..LOL..youre very lucky!! :)
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 2:32 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I think so. My son is 4 and can count to 30 without an issue. He does basic addition and subtraction and is learning some very very basic multiplication (like 0's, 1's & 2's)... He does great. We have flash cards and he loves to play games where he gets to do math...

We started playing a "memory" type of game where he has to flip two cards and then either add or subtract them, depending on the turn... He loves it.

My 3yo isn't to far behind on the counting, but he's more of a letters kid than he is numbers...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:50 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I just discovered what his was able to do ,and he is asking me to do it more often....I do not WORK with him because I think he is to little and I do not want to push him so hard.I think this happens with kids that just HAVE IT.

My daughter was able to do what he is doing at 4, when she was 6 and she is good 4th grader student. I come from a country that entered school at 7 and beleive me we are doing great. I think we are pushing our kids to the limits ...
    VienaMira

Comment by VienaMira (original poster) at 2:03 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• all the kiddos in my family could do that at that age as well. sounds normal to me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:20 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I do not think its normal......sorry
    VienaMira

Comment by VienaMira (original poster) at 2:23 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I think so. Awesome though
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 2:07 PM on Nov. 17, 2010