finding information for book rental

can someone help me find actual statics for how well or not well this business can do? I am finding so much crap I would like a little help :(

MoMoFu

Asked by MoMoFu at 2:08 AM on Nov. 17, 2010 in Money & Work

• Not sure what you mean. Do you want to start a business where you rent out books? My guess would be that it wouldn't go over so well because why rent a book that you have to pay for when you can "rent" it for free at the library. If you mean textbooks, then it could be a good idea but you would have to have an good amount of inventory unless you focused on one college and got their book list. It would probably take some time to actually "earn" the money back on what you have invested though.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 3:17 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I am not sure but here is a bump for you!
    .science.mom.

Answer by .science.mom. at 6:59 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I sell textbooks for a living and believe me, you can buy a textbook for a lot less that you can rent it. Also, if someone buys a textbook, they can resell it and make some of their money back. That's not an option if you rent it.
    ShouldHaveLeft

Answer by ShouldHaveLeft at 7:46 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Yeah between libraries, ebay, yard sales and free sites like: www.paperbackswap.com I don't really think a store for renting books would do too well.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 11:03 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I disagree with the post saying you can buy a text for cheaper than you can rent it - even if you factor in the (possible) buy-back gain. Most of my texts were not eligible for buy-back because in the sciences, they update them every year. I would have saved a ton of money if I could rent (back then).

So now my dh has been renting through Chegg for 2-3 years and gets his books for a fraction of the cost to buy them. One time the professor even listed the wrong book. The bookstore would not give refunds to the whole class, but Chegg DID, so he didn't lose a dime on the professor's mistake!

.science.mom.

Answer by .science.mom. at 12:20 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I'm a little confused by your question. Are you asking about an existing business or starting a new one?
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 2:56 PM on Nov. 17, 2010