My daughter just turned 9.Is it possible the hormones causing her behavior to change ,to be more aggresive and disrespectful toward her parents?

VienaMira

Asked by VienaMira at 3:08 AM on Nov. 17, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• If she is getting ready to menstruate then yes it is possible for her to be more moody. However, I would start with school, friends, and home life first. It is usually a change in friends and environment that cause behaviors to change drastically in a short period of time. Hormones changing won't help, but generally kids her age are making friends and finding out more about themselves as individuals. Just talk to her, but don't scold her, just try to find out what is going on in her life. Don't be nosy though, just act interested, even if you aren't. She may not tell you everything, but you will find out more than if you are just asking her why she is so moody lately. Don't even tell her that you notice, just try to figure it out on your own and then deal with it accordingly.
    elismom122003

Answer by elismom122003 at 3:23 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Oh absolutely. Girls in the "tweenage" years - which can include 9 yr olds - start to have hormonal shifts sometimes up to yrs before they actually start their periods. I have a 16 yr old dd, and those "tween yrs" / middle school yrs were the WORST! And most of the moms that I've talked to (some with dd's my dd's age, and some who had teenage dd's when mine was a pre-teen) have all said the same thing.

I'm not saying you should allow it or excuse the behavior, because honestly, that's just going to make it worse (she needs to be able to start to learn to recognize what her body is doing - as I put it to my dd, if, on a scale of 1-10, this would bother you as a 3 normally, you can't react as if it's a 7 just because of your period - that's not fair to anyone - including her) - but it is entirely possible that it's hormones.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 5:18 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Yes, her body is changing and those hormones are starting. We're going through the same thing in our household with our daughter.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:14 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Puberty is occurring earlier and earlier with children today and so it may be a result of her hormonal level changing but it may also be her reacting to something going on with her such as in school, with friends, and could be dependent on things such as moving, death of a loved on, etc.. and it just could be the age. My niece went through the same thing with her daughter. Her daughter was reacting to the fact that she had a new baby in the home and was afraid of losing her connection with her mom.
    holfee

Answer by holfee at 5:51 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• yup she started just tell her this what we girls go through each month and nothing to be afraid of and some get stronger and some us doesn't but i am here with you no matter what ,so there will be good days and days you will just want to run and hide,but i am here no matter what ,tell here how it was for you when you where a kid going through the same thing ,kids don't think that parents where ever kids but we where
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 7:38 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• It is possible that it's hormones if that's not her normal behavior. My SD is 9 and has been moody all her life. I'm very concerned that once her hormones kick in we'll be in for it. Good Luck.
    not-the-momma

Answer by not-the-momma at 2:22 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• yes she could have change
    dorispierce

Answer by dorispierce at 1:46 PM on Nov. 24, 2010