Ways to Improve my community

How can we improve our communities? It has to start somewhere, why not with us? I don't mean anything big or that cost money. The greatest tool we have is the gift of ourselves and our time.

We decided to spend Thanksgiving with a family we don't even know. It is a stretching moment, but its time to step outside of the box and do something for someone else. What do you think what else we can do to help our communities? Plz keep it clean. Thank you. Oh, if you don't know, plz bump it because someone else might have some answers for us.Tk u

Prayerpartner

Asked by Prayerpartner at 3:15 AM on Nov. 17, 2010 in

• I'm not sure I have an actual answer for you but I wanted to thank you. There are so many people who don't even consider ways to help let alone take the steps to actually do it. My community is in need of people just like you! I am always trying to get people to come together with no luck. It is discouraging but I don't think I will ever actually quit. It is a fight worth fighting to make the world better. Starting small is the only way to truly get it done on a personal level for people.

Kudos to you! I hope you have a fabulous Thanksgiving.
    MKPMBHC

Answer by MKPMBHC at 4:12 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Thank you! I hope you have an awesome Thanksgiving Day too! I know what you mean. Its hard to get ppl to step out of their homes and look beyond their own lives. They say, "I'm too busy or too tired." We have so many things to do work for us, yet we are more stressed than ever and have less time for each other. I dont' get it.... I remember as a child the neighbors pitching in when someone was sick or having block holiday parites. Now they push the garage remote and close the garage door behind them. You don't even get to know your neighbors because they're afraid of what you might do to them or their children! Even at my church, we aren't allowed to hug each other or the children anymore. Its said that a few rotten apples spoiled it for the rest of us! But like you, I'm going to keep trying to make a difference and help the hopeless, lonely, and hurting...
    Prayerpartner

Comment by Prayerpartner (original poster) at 4:24 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Great post! I don't think about this nearly as much as I should!!
    newmom28

Answer by newmom28 at 8:41 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Pass out food to homeless people. Small investment, big return. Give your talent to your community and do not turn any recipients away if the family is experiencing financial hardship. Pick up litter: throw the trash and recycle the rest. Visit an elderly neighbor. Donate items to non-profit organizations. Support small business. Buy from your farmer's market. Heck, start a community garden to help feed homeless or hungry people. There's plenty more where that came from... Think Global, Act Local!
    BluDog

Answer by BluDog at 8:51 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Start a neighborhood watch group. There is nothing like neighbors vested in keeping their communities clean, safe and drug free than concerned home owners banding together and working with local law enforcement!!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:01 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• i think visiting nursing homes and just spending time with them would be awesome, doing arts, crafts, reading a book...etc. I am slowly collecting box tops for my daughters school. If i see a homeless person, I ask them if i can buy them some milk or something healthy. I think BluDog and Lorikeet have awesome answers. Thanks for asking this question. I have alot of time on my hands while the girls are in school and I really want to find things to make my time valuable by helping others. I will come back and check out other peoples ideas.
    VGonzalez73

Answer by VGonzalez73 at 3:28 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

Next question in
WYR

Next question overall (Relationships)
My idea of a friend is _______________