Learning from others

How can we learn from others? Do we really learn from their mistakes?

Prayerpartner

Asked by Prayerpartner at 3:18 AM on Nov. 17, 2010 in Relationships

• I think we do sometimes. For example, I remember vividly losing my grandmother as a kid to lung cancer, and I swore then that I would never smoke. I've never touched a cigarette (or anything else, forthat matter). I think my grandma would be glad that at least something positive came from her death. I've also seen what unhealthy lifestyle choices can do to your long term health by watching my family, and I'm trying to keep myself from being there, as well as my son.
    I've watched people go through bad things in relationships, and learned some from that, but I think that, for the most part, we really do learn through our own experience when it comes to relationships.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 3:38 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I think we can learn from others mistakes. My grandfather was an alcoholic. Whether he knows it now or not, he has taught me alcohol can be a very bad thing if abused! I rarely drink becasue I know 1 can lead to 2 and 2 can lead to a lot more!! My mother was a teen mom and she and my father had a really rough time when I was young. I promised myself I would graduate high school and be at least 20 (that was more of a joke because no one in my family could make it past 20 to have kids) to have a child! I think to learn from others you have to first realize what they did wrong and choose to not put yourself in that situation!
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 3:50 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Honestly, you can learn a general idea of what others are experiencing, but I say that you never learn FROM others, you have to learn for yourself. At least that is the way I am. I know that even by watching someone go through something it will not generally stop me from doing the same thing, because we are two different people, with different views, different ideas and all of that, so it does not mean that the outcome will be the same for youu and I.
    Luisa621

Answer by Luisa621 at 3:58 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• The human being is very, very stubborn. Take my husband for example, he saw the destruction and hurt unfaithfulness caused on his grandmother and his mother and he still went off and did it. He says he's learned and will never hurt me again but how does that explain that after he had the affair last summer and was oh so sorry, we went to one of my bestfriends house for x-mas. They all had way to much to drink (that is not an excuse) and at one point I didn't see my bestfriend nor my husband around and I caught them in a room making out. My husband was so wasted that either she or he threw up on him and he didn't even realize it. I had to clean him up. So, did he or did he not learn from what he did last summer...IDK. Nothing has happened since (correction, nothing that I've found out about) but I can't trust him any further than I can throw him and NO, she and I are no longer friends.
    ShouldHaveLeft

Answer by ShouldHaveLeft at 7:34 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I belive we can learn from others. Older people, family try to share there wisdom and knowledge about things with the younger generation. Sometimes they just don't listen.Later in life they learn that they should of listened, especially when their actions and avoidance of other's input got them into trouble. It is a learning experience and once they learn who they get sound advice from , they usually turn to that person further down the road.
    CatPaws2

Answer by CatPaws2 at 7:52 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• We absolutely learn from others, beginning at birth. Children learn what they live. They see what adults model for them. They learn from their surroundings. And we, as adults, can learn from others as well. It may not always be a lesson we choose to learn, but we can learn when we are open to the learning process. We can see the mistakes of others and choose a different path. We can see the successes of others and choose to adopt some of the same positive behaviors in our lives.
    Gaccck

Answer by Gaccck at 8:50 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Yes, you can learn from somebody else's mistakes. THe question is do you want to?
    BeachMom81

Answer by BeachMom81 at 10:24 AM on Nov. 17, 2010