Why is it so wrong to question your religion?

A student newspaper at a suburban Catholic school has sparked a debate over free speech by criticizing a Catholic DVD and defending gay teens. The DVD denouncing same-sex marriage was sent by Minnesota's Catholic bishops to parishioners prior to the Nov. 2 election. The student newspaper of Benilde-St. Margaret's in St. Louis Park deleted two student editorials over the weekend and shut off the online comments. The Knight Errant student newspaper published a news story last Thursday about the bishops' "Preserving Marriage in Minnesota" DVD. But it was the two editorials that accompanied it -- and the online comments they inspired -- that created the uproar. One staff editorial challenged the bishops' arguments against same-sex marriage and called the DVD "unsubstantiated."
The president of the school said that he removed this article becasue
cont...

momofone072506

Asked by momofone072506 at 3:23 AM on Nov. 17, 2010 in Religious Debate

• People just need to get over how others live their lives! People in this country obsess so much over what their neighbors are doing and not about what they can be doing to HELP their neighbors. I am NOT religious, and I really don't understand why religious people feel the need to shove their religious views down other peoples throats. People are not going to just magically change from gay to not gay, so they really just need to get over it if they don't like it. If this world is too corrupt for them, then they can figure a way out of it. Let's find ways to help people of all different backgrounds and orientations to get along and live harmoniously so we can all just move on with our lives!
    elismom122003

Answer by elismom122003 at 3:27 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• "it was creating confusion about the teachings of the Catholic Church"

So my question is why is that so wrong? Shouldn't we be able to question the church isn't that a good way for them to teach us rather than asking us to follow blindly. I read the editorial and it was amazing. I understand that the school (since it is a private school) has every right to remove the article but can someone please help me understand WHY it is so wrong for students at a catholic school to question the religion they are being taught because i dont' get it!

momofone072506

Comment by momofone072506 (original poster) at 3:31 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Oh i just want to add that i thought the editorial was amazing and i am a huge supporter of gay rights but, I want to leave that part out for now I just want to understand why in a learning environment someone voices an opinion and instead of using it as a teaching opportunity the church just shuts it down...

momofone072506

Comment by momofone072506 (original poster) at 3:33 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• that was a perfect opportunity for the school to have an open discussion on there views and HEAR and address what the students think and feel.

momofone072506

Comment by momofone072506 (original poster) at 3:34 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I guess it is the same reason public schools (some...not all) fight students who try and say God created everything and evolution is not real. I agree with you, they should have used it as a way to open up discussion, but a lot of schools just want kids to think how they want them to. I am all for teachers not trying to supress students! School should be a place for open disscusion, not brainwashing!
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 3:47 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• it isn't wrong and if others have issue with it, then keep it private until you get home, I guess. Its none of their business. Forcing you to stay with something you don't believe in, doesn't make you that religion, it just makes them happy and that's not what its about.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 5:05 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I'm a Christian, and I have been taught that it's ok to question and seek answers and to stretch and grow. You don't have to embrace all ideas or views, but there's nothing wrong with discussing them, reading your bible and exploring what God has to say about things, and forming your own beliefs based on the guidance you get from the prayers, discussions, and research you do.

By the way, I am not talking about gay rights or abortion or divorce or birth control or anything specific here - just ideas / beliefs in general.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 5:09 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• It's not okay to question the Catholic Church which claims to be the only means of salvation and to have total authority over "the truth".
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 6:04 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Organised religion uses fear and ignorance to keep it's followers under control.  By questioning the church you are demonstrating that you have independent thought and they don't like that because it means they don't control you.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:38 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I completely believe in questioning your religion. I was raised southern baptist by my grandmother. I brought home many a book on relgions through high school becuase I was intrigued and curious. In college I began investigating the LDS church, my to my grandmother's dismay, as part of a way to learn about the beliefs of the family of the boy I was dating then, who himself was not active in the religion. I discovered that I liked what Ilearned and it was a good fit for me and I believed the teachings to be true, I converted he got active and we've been married now for years.
    He himself went away from this faith and his parnts ENCOURAGED it so long as he was looking into other things so they took him to other faiths to see what they blieved and experince their faith. Which is what I plan to do with mine if they choose differently.
    JadeRDragosani

Answer by JadeRDragosani at 7:41 AM on Nov. 17, 2010