What do you think of a recent movement by some parents to raise gender neutral children?

AngiDas

Asked by AngiDas at 5:08 AM on Nov. 17, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• It depends on what you mean by gender neutral. My ds was allowed to play with dolls, play house, etc. My dd was allowed to play with trucks, play ball, etc. They were allowed to play with what toys interested them, and be who they want to be, and that's a good thing.

But if you mean, say, they don't use words like him, her, she, he, teens having co-ed sleepovers, because they're "gender neutral", then I think that would be dumb.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 5:13 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• if you mean not follow society's gender stereotypes and roles, I'm all for it. That thinking belongs to the past.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 5:17 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Most of the time I am against it because it doesn't mean, as it should, what the first poster wrote but rather they use it to tell girls they can't play with dolls and they have to play with trucks. I don't see the point of limiting a child's choices in any direction.
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 5:45 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I guess if you mean letting boys play with dolls and letting girls play with cars, yeah I am all for it! But that was how I was raised. I played sports all my life, I had barbies AND trucks. If you mean not teaching boys and girls the difference (this is taking it far beyond what I think we are talking about) I would have to say I disagree.
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 6:18 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Raising them this way will only create inhibitions and they will not reach their full potential.

Answer by older at 7:00 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Don't even know what this question means.
    ShouldHaveLeft

Answer by ShouldHaveLeft at 7:24 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I think it is a good idea. It's about raising kids to be who they are not what society or parents expect them to be. They are free to be who they are comfortable being.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:30 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• i am all for little girls playing with cars and trucks and boys playing with dolls but i also want her to be a girl. bows in the hair and nice clothes and be girly. that is just me. so what exactly is gender neutral. i believe girls are girls and boys are boys
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 8:12 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Well that really depends on what you mean. My children are allowed to play with whatever toy suits their fancy and my husband and I definitely do not fit the typical husband/wife roles that used to be acceptable. I am the one who works full time while he takes care of the kids etc. My daughter loves to dress girly and so she does, but not because we make her do it. My children are free to make their own decisions and if that means I have a girl that acts more like a by some days and a boy that acts more like a girl some days then so be it. BTW I have a 5 year old boy and 3 year old girl.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:45 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I believe that gender is more fluid than we used to realize and that we are trying to acknowledge this with our children...allowing them free exploration of likes and dislikes without shaming them is a wonderful trend, I believe. I didn't always follow it, but I do now.
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 9:15 AM on Nov. 17, 2010