My 3 and a half year old is becoming so aggresssive.

Everytime my son wants something he isn't allowed to have, he throws himself on the floor and starts to cry so loudly and tries to hit me. I try to be as calm as possible, talking to him, but when I loose my temper, I shout at him and even spank him. He keeps crying till I apolagize from him! But he is so stubborn. At times, I think that I should neglect him when he cries, and leave him alone. But he always cries, and is losing his voice ( he has a cold,and the crying is making it worse). I need to kow what to do when he starts to cry for something. Should I neglect him? Talk to him? Shout? Spank?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:21 AM on Nov. 17, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I would try and talk to him first. Try and see if you can calm him down and after that I would just walk away and let him calm himself down. He is to the age where he should be using words not screaming. When my son gets mad and starts shreaking to where I can't understand him I tell him he needs to calm down so he can use his words to tell me what is wrong. My son also gets angry when he doesn't get what he wants, but you can't give in. Then they will grow up thinking they can act like that and get what they want.
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 6:26 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Stay as calm as you can and be very consistent with what he can and can not have. I don't feel there is any need to spank, but rather sit him in a corner or send him to his room until he calms down. I didn't make my kids apologize at this young age. JMO
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:17 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Sit him down and talk to him calmly and ask him what is bothering him.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 2:06 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• stay calm, talk to him like you would want to be talked to... screaming and "freaking out" isn't going to help him calm down... help him to understand WHY you are saying no... and if there is any options (like you can have this candy AFTER you eat dinner) ... and if he continues to act up, explain that you will talk to him when he can calm down.
    asil

Answer by asil at 6:54 PM on Nov. 17, 2010