How long should my stomach be swollen after having a Tubal Ligation?

I had the surgery 5 days ago and my stomach still looks like I am 5 months pregnant. My stomach was flat before having the surgery and I'm really starting to worry that it shouldn't be taking this long for it to go back to normal. I have no signs of an infection or anything like that to worry about, just a big belly that has not shown any signs of getting any smaller. Thank you for your help.

michelle5971

Asked by michelle5971 at 7:07 AM on Nov. 17, 2010 in Health

• Was it laparascopic? Could be just gas...they puff your belly up with air to visualize your organs during lap tubals. Also have you gone #2, yet? Sometimes everything is sluggish after surgery.
    heathermarie32

Answer by heathermarie32 at 7:35 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Yes, it was laparascopic and yes I am having normal bowel movements...thank God lol. I'm not sure if it's still the gas in there or if maybe my muscles are are swollen from being cut?
    michelle5971

Comment by michelle5971 (original poster) at 7:44 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Could be. I had mine immediately after I had my son so my abdomen was already pretty swollen. Does your stomach feel soft or tight?
    heathermarie32

Answer by heathermarie32 at 7:52 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I know a lot of women how have this done have it immediately after giving birth so they really wouldn't notice the swelling, I wish that was the case with me but my "baby" is almost 11 years old lol

Well, it's weird but it seems to be soft in the morning but as the day goes on it tends to get tighter.

michelle5971

Comment by michelle5971 (original poster) at 8:08 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Hmmm....well as long as you are having normal BM's, no vomiting, fever, or severe pain, or signs of infection at your incisions that rules out some common complications. But if you are uncomfortable call your surgeon or OBGYN. It won't hurt, and might make you feel better. Hope this helps. :)
    heathermarie32

Answer by heathermarie32 at 8:24 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Thank you, you have helped me feel better. I think I might give the surgeon a call today and see what she says about it. I have my follow up visit on Tuesday and I'm hoping it's back to normal by then but the way things are going now I am losing hope that it will ever be normal again lol
    michelle5971

Comment by michelle5971 (original poster) at 8:28 AM on Nov. 17, 2010