How do I deal with an emotional 3 yr old?

My three year old daughter has been saying I'm making her sad whenever she doen't get her way. I don't want to ignore her feelings, but at the same time she can't always have her way. I usually try to say something along the lines of I'm sorry ur sad but u can't .... Just want to know if this is normal and how to deal with it.

beward79

Asked by beward79 at 8:43 PM on Nov. 3, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Oh honey, I remember those days. It isn't easy I will tell you that. You need to be prosistant and very loving. Always let them know you are there for them and that you will be there to disapline when the time comes. Letting them know that because you disapline doesn't mean you don't love them, but it shows you do love them very, very much.

You will find out especially with little girls they will try to push you to the ends of your rope and then batt the eyes to get their way. if you don't give them their way then they want to guilt you for it. You have to stay strong and stick to your guns. Explain to her understanding that her behavior isn't exceptable and that you must do what mommy's need to do. Tell her it is okay to be sad but you are sorry your not giving her own way. She isn't the adult you are. Stick you your guns mamma, this is normal behavior!.......It only get worse!......

Trina008

Answer by Trina008 at 8:51 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• All 3 yr olds are like this. MIne is the same way. She says "Mean mommy" or "I'm crying tears." Which honestly cracks me up everytime. It is normal and you just have to be patient and nice, even though she may be being a butthead.
    evilabbysmom

Answer by evilabbysmom at 8:52 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• My daughter did the same thing, I would pretty much tell her the same thing and that was that. She is 4 now and doesn't really do it anymore.
    rnm080404

Answer by rnm080404 at 12:12 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• Yup what the other posters said, my daughter used to tell me I was breaking her heart or making her heart hurt. I also got you are a mean mommy and don't deserve to have children. Where that came from I am not sure. I would just validate her feelings, I am sorry that is how you feel but you still can not have ice cream for breakfast. lol
    norbert

Answer by norbert at 10:56 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• Has anyone tried the silly kids songs to motivate their monster, er lovely child, to do what needs to be done? I'm out of resources here and about out of wits. My 3 year old is kicking my butt. I'm glad I'm not the only one who has a crazy kiddo. The simplest of tasks (pick up your cup) turn into 20 minute bouts of traumatic insanity. I have a 15 month and a 2 week old to add to the mix and worry the constant fighting will make them jumpy and eventually act out. Good luck to you all! :D
    FiddleHeads

Answer by FiddleHeads at 11:32 AM on Nov. 4, 2008