We just got a new kitten...

I have never owned a cat in my life. I am a dog person, but my husband has wanted a cat for so long and I finally gave in! NOT a good idea. My dogs enjoy getting baths, cats I have heard do not! This kitten smells bad and needs a bath. I don't want to tramatize it and throw it in a tub, the owners of the parents to our kitten does bathe their cats, so he (our kitten) has had baths before. I just don't know how to go about it. Can any cat lovers/owners help me out!!

ILoveCade

Asked by ILoveCade at 8:25 AM on Nov. 17, 2010 in Pets

• Make sure the room is warm and use kitten/cat shampoo and go gently by using a large cup to get the kitten wet/rinse(easier then using the shower head-my DS's kitten hated the sprayer) and have a towel ready when done And be prepared for lots of noise from your little furbaby. Enjoy your kitten they are a lot of fun.
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 8:29 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Bathe him in the bathroom sink. Cats generally don't need baths though.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 8:29 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I personally have never given our cats a bath but my Husband has. If it is a small kitten you could always do it in the sink. Just put a small amount of water in it, wet the cat with a washcloth or slowly pour water over it, avoiding it's head, with a cup. Lather it with shampoo made for animals, being careful not to use too much as it will be hard to rinse it all out and then rinse the cat again. You will probably have to hold on to the kittens front legs while giving it it's bath so it can't scratch you or get away. When all the soap is rinsed out dry it as much as you can with a towel. After a few baths the cat should get used to it and it'll get easier each time.
    michelle5971

Answer by michelle5971 at 8:34 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I foster a lot of kittens. One litter in particular had to get bathed frequently because they (6 of them) were very messy eaters and where constantly covered in wet food when they were just starting on food other then the KMR. THey were not thrilled about it but I just held them in one hand and scrubbed them down with the shampoo rinsed them and made sure they were comepletely dry.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 8:43 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• After the inital bath,you won't have to bathe her anymore unless she rolls in something. Cats bathe themselves.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:28 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• He is a long haired cat, so I don't know if that makes a difference. But he is very cuddly, and I don't want to sound mean but I don't like him being close to my face because he really doesn't smell good :( I don't know if it is just becase he is a cat, and they smell or if it is because he is also a messy eater and with the long hair it could get stuck. I just don't know!
    ILoveCade

Comment by ILoveCade (original poster) at 9:43 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Awwwww, I am a dog professional, but few people know my first love was a cat! Kittens can be so entertaining!

You can certainly bathe your kitten. Just get a big pail, like a clean mop pail and fill it half way with luke warm water. Use a pet shampoo, dog shampoo is fine. A few drops would do it, hold kitten around his neck, gently, under his jaw with one hand, the other hand under his rump. Lower him in the water, shampoo and lower again. Wrap him in a big towel and then let him lick himself dry. Yuo can brush him too.
    Bath him only 1-2 times a month or his skin will get too dry, if you want to bathe him. Brush him daily if he has long hair.

Good luck!
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 11:57 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• maybe u can trim his fur for starters. then u can put the animal shampoo in a basin/sink of water warm of course then use a wash cloth like giving a sponge bath to a human. u dont need to put him in the basin or sink just on the floor. u can also pet him at the same time as a distraction. after the bath use clean warm water for the rinse. maybe u can do it 1-2 days later if the smell isnt completely gone.
    maya123

Answer by maya123 at 10:14 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• If you start bathing him from now, he'll get use to it and it won't be a problem when he gets bigger. Coo at him, speak softly and use slow jestures when you bathe him.
    ShouldHaveLeft

Answer by ShouldHaveLeft at 10:18 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• WHen I first got my cats they stunk too. They eventually learned to clean themselves better and it went away.....
    mlmsm928

Answer by mlmsm928 at 10:20 PM on Nov. 19, 2010