My daughter has an imaginary friend. Anyone else??

Last night I went to check on my almost 4 year old daughter because I heard her playing in her room. I told her she needs to go to bed and get her rest for pre school tomorrow. She says "But I can't because Max is being too loud!" I asked her who Max was and she said it was her friend who lives in her closet. I go over to the closet and open it and I told Max to be quiet so Heather can get some sleep. She starts laughing hysterically and says "Mommy he isnt in there anymore!! He's right behind you" Creeped me the hell out!! I just played along and then gave her a kiss good night. I come back to check on her about 20 mins later and she says "Max in bed with me and we are going to sleep. Good night".. Ahh! lol I have always heard imaginary friends are normal but this is a first for her and it gives me the heebie jeebies!! Anyone else's child have a "friend" like Max??

Ctink8189

Asked by Ctink8189 at 8:38 AM on Nov. 17, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I had an imaginary friend when I was little, too. I had a brother, and my 'friend' was probably the sister I'd wanted but never had. I think it's fine. I turned out okay... I think!! ;). Take care...
    SS_2010

Answer by SS_2010 at 9:29 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• When my little boy was her age, he talked to someone named "Junie"....
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 8:43 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• My dd used to have an imaginary friend. She introduced me to her in the grocery store. She said she used toplay with them at preschool on the playground because they wee nicer than the kids at school. It is very normal and they just outgrow it.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 9:05 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I remember my friends little sister had an imaginary friend growing up and she would freak out if anyone sat in that seat in the car because Sally was there. The mom would always make us move seats so Sabrina could sit by sally. lol
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 9:08 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• My 1st son had an imaginary friend at that age!
    Darla47

Answer by Darla47 at 9:18 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• LOL at ria7.. thats cute. Glad to hear i'm not alone! I guess i've just seen way too many scary movies and it gives me the creeps lol I never had an imaginary friend growing up, which is odd considering I am and always have been the only child
    Ctink8189

Comment by Ctink8189 (original poster) at 9:20 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Um... My MAX has lately been telling me "people" are in his room - and he said "Grandpa" is in his closet.. he is actually frightened to go in his room and sleep in there - i have a nightlight for him AND a flashlight - be thankful at least she gets along with her "friend".. just support and believe her -
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:04 PM on Nov. 17, 2010