Tips for talking to the TA effectively?

I was really good the first day of class in going to my TA and sayig I was having a baby and would need time off and we worked allt hat out and it was fine.
Now however mymental health, as a result of having same said baby, has gone wonky and it's totally messing things up for me in not just my classes but every aspect of my life, truly. I want to talk to my TA about this so he can work with me about the things I missed and the things I need to do to get my grade back on track, I cannot afford to fail or even get less than a c. What is the best way to do it without seeming super needy or excuse making or even just the old, oh well she has mental health concerns so she's going to blame it all on that, sort of thing. If any of what I'm saying makes sense?

JadeRDragosani

Asked by JadeRDragosani at 8:44 AM on Nov. 17, 2010 in

• I'm a teacher, so my best advice would be for you to talk to your TA (in person, no e-mails) asap. If you wait too long, it will look like an insincere last ditch effort to bring up your grade. If your TA can be flexible, she will work out a plan with you, but you absolutely need to follow the plan. If you can't, then there isn't much they can do for you. I've made "damage control" plans with my students. Some follow it and end up doing well, and some still can't follow through. Be honest with her about your problems without going into too much detail, but stress that you're not looking for handouts or undeserved extra credit. Good luck!
    jacksmom1225

Answer by jacksmom1225 at 8:53 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I agree with jacksmom1225. Bring proof of appointments or a diagnosis.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:31 PM on Nov. 17, 2010