Should I refuse the new AIT scan?

I'm supposed to be flying Sat. and the airport I'm flying out of has the new AIT scanners. Supposedly(from the TSA website) the scanners are safe for pregnant women and children but I'm concerned. The studies on how safe these new scanners are, are done by the government,TSA and the AIT manufacturers. Do you really think that any of these people would admit if they weren't safe? Many scientists warn that while it is very low level radiation frequent fliers and pregnant women should opt out. Beause the machines do have the potential of admitting high radiation. So I guess what I'm trying to say is how do you really know that it's not blasting your body with tons of radiation- unless your an expert you'd have no way of knowing. However the alternative pat down is more than that. I've heard you can expect for your genitals to be touched and your shirt lifted. I guess I'll just get violated as opposed to harming my unborn child.

ainstalshia

Asked by ainstalshia at 8:52 AM on Nov. 17, 2010 in Health

• The laws changed October 29th so the TSA agents now have to use the front of their hand, run it across your bra line in the front, etc. And you are right, nobody knows how safe these things are. For all we know, they are the equivalent of the shoe fitting x-ray devices from the 1940s. You are in a six in one hand, half a dozen in the other situation. I guess I would go for the pat down if I had to choose.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 10:22 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• They shouldn't be touching your genitals or lifting your shirt. They need to pat you down with the backside of their hand. If they do anything different, you need to tell them to stop and ask to see their supervisor. I would not chance the scan, it is no different than an x-ray.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 9:31 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• My DH and I travel a lot. He has to have a pat down because he has a defibrilator in his chest. They do not feel under your clothing. They do not touch your genitals. Usually they have their palms facing away from you. It will be a female for females, and male for males, that examines you. Lots less invasive than having a mamogram, or a check-up at the doctor's office. Unless you ask to go behind a screen, there are thousands of people around you. He said in hundreds of time being patted down, he has never felt they were doing anything uncomfortable.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 2:26 PM on Nov. 17, 2010