she lets her 15 month old up and down stairs unsupervised????

A "friend" of mine on my facebook made a post about how she took down her baby gate and lets her 15 month old son go up and down the stairs by himself. I knew she let him play upstairs by himself, but this just doesn't seem safe to me. Her apartment has very hard floors and stairs, I know adults in the same complex who have gotten seriously hurt falling down similar stairs. We are not close friends, our daughters are in pre-school together. I don't want to mean, but sometimes she comes across as not very bright, am I overreacting? Is this normal? should I stay out of it? or say something in a nice way?

Bjoycassell

Asked by Bjoycassell at 8:56 AM on Nov. 17, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My (ex) step daughter could walk at 8 months....NO KIDDING! By the time she was 15 months, she could easily go up & down stairs with no problems. I did not have gates on our stairs either when she was that age, & she never fell. Mom's know best. I would not judge.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:59 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• There's no way I could let a 15 month old do it. I would be in fear that he/she would fall down the stairs and get extremely hurt.
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 9:00 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I guess you'd probably bash on me as well because my baby gate has been down since my son was 13 months old. He is a pro at the stairs and the gate wouldn't have come down otherwise. But when it gets to the point where your child is climbing on the gate and knocking it over, it's time! My son was walking at about 11 months and climbing onto chairs, tables, cabinets at a year old! Lord help me lol I guess the only difference in my situation is my son doesn't really want to be upstairs that much. I think it was just his infatuation with knocking the gate over rather than climbing the stairs a million times a day.
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 9:01 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• At 15 mos old, my ds was walking with no problems, was able to go up and down stairs, and in fact, we have home video of him actually boosting himself over the baby gate and going right up the stairs - we taped him doing it because we had family that didn't live near us that were a little skeptical that he could do it. We had even gone to the extreme of covering the side of the baby gate with cardboard (we used washers and zip ties to secure it to the gate), he would just hook his arms on the top and boost himself right over.

It was at that point that we took the gate down (I was 9 mos pg with our dd at that point, and it slowed me down more than him). We put it back up when our dd became mobile. With her, it was up a lot longer, because she wasn't as physically capable as he was at that same age.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:04 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I'm not bashing her, but to me it's not "normal" I was just wondering if other parents let babies up and down stairs by themselfs. I've seen her baby walk, he is not advanced but a normal clumsy toddler
    Bjoycassell

Comment by Bjoycassell (original poster) at 9:05 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I guess the point I was trying to make is that for me, it's not normal or abnormal. It just really depends on the capabilities of the child. I've had one that I was comfortable at that age, and one that I wasn't comfortable with doing it at that age. It just depends.

Also, is he actually walking up and down the stairs, or is he crawling / scooting up and down the stairs? Just curious :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:08 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• It could be more complicated t han that. When Itook down my babygate it was not because I developed a sudden sense she wouldn't fall. Thestairs terrify me in this house. BUT she had figured out how to push against it until the bottom popped. I figured that was mroe dangerous in leading to a fall then it not being there.
    JadeRDragosani

Answer by JadeRDragosani at 9:09 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Instead of having a gate I trained my little one to go up and down stairs....by the time she was that age, she could do it herself unsupervised with no problems....she never once fell....It did freak people out when she did it, and they, too, thought I must not be very bright.....I wouldn't worry about it...
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 9:09 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Yea I didnt mean for that come off as rude, sorry. I get what your saying about her son's clumsiness but also I don't think there is a kid in this world at THAT age that can "walk" up and down the stairs. For them, it's more hands and knees and crawling. My son actually slides down when is ready to come down. It's hilarious really.. Here is a video I took....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBpKTGPe5mA
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 9:10 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• P.S- sorry I dont know how to make a clicky link
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 9:11 AM on Nov. 17, 2010