Riddle me this please?

In reference to the TSA scans/patdowns..

Why is it NOT a violation of privacy to have our bodies scanned or felt up.. yet some say profiling is?

This makes no sense to me.I would like to see how effective profiling (of a sort..suspcious behavor/body laguage) has been for Israel..pesonally i'd MUCH rather be stared at then scanned or felt up. So isn't it REALLY a violation of our privacy to be scanned/felt up?

tnmomofive

Asked by tnmomofive at 9:12 AM on Nov. 17, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• That picture made me laugh.
    In all seriousness, this pat down/body scanner stuff is just a false sense of security. Any terrorist on a suicide mission can accomplish that at the security line.Everyone is a sitting duck. I won't fly because I knew DHS was full of shit when they said the images would not be saved and I don't want naked images of my children in some database. I also have a problem with strangers touching me like that. So, if it costs me a couple extra hours, I will drive. My sanity and dignity will be intact. As far as profiling goes, if done right then I have no problem with it.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 9:41 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I was just reading an article about how the systems were not susposed to store the photos and they are. Over 100 of them have found their way onto the internet.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 9:14 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• What's even more amazing is the people that were up in arms against it because it was a Bush era decision are now okay with an expanded version simply because the ball is in Obama's court.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:33 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I think someone might consider it a violation of civil rightss but not privacy...KWIM?

How is looking at someone's eye contact and facial expressions, plus checking to see if they're jumpy, sweaty or nervous, a violation of their civil rights?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:36 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• While we are concentrating on planes, the terrorists are planning something new.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 10:27 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• It's more that it is a waste of time and money for me. We had one guy try and light up his underwear and all of a sudden we have to be frisked? As I said in another answer it's unlikely anyone will try carrying on a bomb or real weapon onto an American plane. Why do you think the only ones we have heard about have originated from other countries? Why, because they know they would be hard pressed to get it done in America. I think they need to work with the baggage more than the people getting on a plane. Also they should use the info they can get on these terrorists and make sure they are on the lists they should be on. Stop the red tape screw ups and we wouldn't have to be frisking American citizens period.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:54 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• What bothers me~ TSA scanner photos making their way on the internet.... Where is the accountability?  Responsibility? 

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 12:11 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• interesting how many conservatives were OK with giving up some freedoms in the name of (imiganery ) safety

***

Do you really not understand the difference between "wire tapping" and "cavity searches?!" I have no problem with Bush's version of the Patriot Act--have nothing to hide, and nothing to fear; however, I DO have a problem with some minimum wage earning TSA feeling me and my family up in the name of I-M-A-G-I-N-A-R-Y safety!!

Since 9/11, how many planes ORIGINATING in the United States have blown up or hijacked?! The problem is NOT within our borders! I want to know if Obama and his administration are going to order the same body scans and cavity checks on ALL PASSENGERS boarding a plan TO the United States?! I'd wager THAT is where and when they'll find something--assuming, of course, that the bomber doesn't have a paid "helper" to get him past security and screening as the Christmas Day bomber had!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 12:18 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I don't think it's safe to be grabbing someones croutch!--

some crotches may bite back!..or so i've heard.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:04 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• How is profiling a violation of privacy?

I think someone might consider it a violation of civil rightss but not privacy...KWIM?

Getting pulled over cause you're black is a totally different kind of violation that having your crotch grabbed.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 9:19 AM on Nov. 17, 2010