What can a parent do if a child has trouble keeping friends.

My stepdaughter (9) has trouble keeping friends. She seems to make friends easily (she's outgoing, outspoken, etc) but for some reason she always tends to alienate them. She has had trouble in the past with stealing from other children (we believe she was acting out after her BM left), but we're making progress with that issue. We also heard that she was threatening another child at school but since then the children have made up and she hasn't done it again. Anyway, she told us recently that she's invited other children to come over and play, but no one wants to come over or they're being told by their parents that they are not allowed to play with her. Her father and I are beside ourselves because although she has had some issues, she's not a bad kid. What can we do?

not-the-momma

Asked by not-the-momma at 9:33 AM on Nov. 17, 2010 in General Parenting

• Did you watch "Parenthood" last night? Same issue there.

Though it is TV, the approach might work: Talk to the mother of a child your daughter is friendly with and ask both the mother and the child over for a structured playdate. Explain to the mother that you're working on helping your daughter _________(insert issue here)_______, and you relalize that the children might have had problems in the past, but you believe that with a little outside help your daughter might learn to be a better friend.

Good Luck!
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 9:45 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• My daughter had this problem. I walked to teacher and school councilor.
    My daughter was bossing and tattle telling on her friends.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 12:43 PM on Nov. 17, 2010