can your 10 month old talk yet? how many words can they say?

mine can say "all done" and "dada" she doesnt say mama yet :( but everytime i say "say mama, say mama" she looks at my mouth and studies it as if she wants to try it but just can't yet. can yours say mama?

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 9:36 AM on Nov. 17, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My little guy didn't utter a first word until he was a year old. Now at 18 months, he's saying alot of words. Every child is different in terms of development. I'd say your's is doing great! No worries!! Just enjoy her :).
    SS_2010

Answer by SS_2010 at 9:38 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• At 10 months, mine said Momma, tag, truck...and many more words. He was not normal though. LOL His vocabulary is still crazy and he is 14.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 9:44 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I wouldn't worry about it. All of my kids, including my early talker, said mama later on. It was like they really didn't need it because I was pretty much always there.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 10:02 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• "mama" is sometimes one of the last things they learn. They hear you talk a lot. They hear you say things like, "Look, daddy's home!" and "Pet the doggie gentle" and "Do you want more?" so those are the kinds of things they repeat. Babies tend to mimic mom rather than call out to her. Plus, you're always around. There is really no incentive to scream out, "Mama!!"
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:34 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• My sone said mama, dada, baba, ny ny (nite nite) and good at 10 months. By 12 months he was up to 11 words :) And then he just went crazy!!!!
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 3:07 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Mine has said what sounds like words, but were not thinking he's offically said his first word.
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 3:11 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• im not necessarily worried about speech just about her not saying mama. even my 23 month old who does have a slight speech delay was saying mama before her first birthday. im sure it will come in time, and that's all i'll hear! lol
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 9:46 AM on Nov. 17, 2010