Am I the only mom that doesn't picture her child(ren) older...?

I have a 6mth old DD (my first biological child). I just can't picture her grown up. When she was first born, I couldn't imagine her even at this point. I can't imagine her anything or any older that what I physically see. Am I the only one or is this normal?
I recently had a child die in my family. Jordan was 16years old. I'm afraid that my subconscious won't let me because I fear something will happen to her.

a.butler

Asked by a.butler at 8:50 PM on Nov. 3, 2008 in General Parenting

• No its normal. Every mom (or at least most) doesn't want to picture their little ones grown up.
    katyameliasmom

Answer by katyameliasmom at 8:52 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• LOL. No you are not the only one. When Jade was born I could not picture her past the age of 2-3. Now she is 10 and still looks the same. Yet, I still cannot picture her as an adult.

Kadence is 2 and I can't picture her either when shes older. I thought I was the only one too!
    softchick21

Answer by softchick21 at 8:52 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• That could very possibly be correct. I was involved in a car accident when I was 15. My best friend died. I worried when my daughters got to be that age that God would take them from me because I had survived the accident. It's not healthy to worry about stuff like that. Take it from me, just live day to day, enjoy each passing moment, and always live in the NOW.
    Anonymous

• It may be a fear of yours because of what has happened. I had a girlfriend who refused to videotape her children because it reminded her of those public service announcements/commercials where they would show a personal video tape of a child and then a message would pop up about them being killed by a drunk driver (though her child is very much alive and fine).

I couldn't picture my kids older when they were younger and now that they are older, it's hard sometimes to remember them younger (though I have tons of pictures and video to remind me). Try to live in the moment and not worry too much and enjoy your child; they grow so darn fast.
    Anonymous

• I never pictured my kids older...now that they are 15 & 21, I'm glad I didn't. Just enjoy each moment because they will grow and change so fast (even though it seems like it takes forever). My kids grew in a blink of an eye and I love looking at their old pictures.
    WD40

Answer by WD40 at 9:27 PM on Nov. 3, 2008